Dwarf Gouramis

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

prdoring

Dwarf Gouramis

by prdoring

Ok so the next step in planning my new tank. I know I will be getting a school of 4 or 5 neon tetras. I am also getting a dwarf gourami. I have heard mixed info about them with guppies. Some say there angels, some say there bloodthirsty monsters. Im thinking ill get one with the tetras For cycling the new tank, before i put the fish Im attached to in. I will see how he interacts with them, and depending on his personality I will either A)return him B)keep him. Do any of you have experience with dwarf gouramis and guppies? Do you have any recommendations for other larger show type fish for my new tank?

Thanks!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I had to move a male guppy from one tank into my tank with two honey gouramis (similar size and temprement as dwarf gouramis). My male honey gourami is a bit terretorial, but he's been fine with the guppy.

As for larger, show type of fish: what size is the new tank?

Also, from your post, it sounds like you are planning on cycling the tank with neons??? If so, that is a bad idea. Neons need a mature tank. Can you use some filter media from your existing tank to get your new one jump started?

One more piece of unsolicited advice :): I'd up the number of neons to at least six, but 8 or more would be even better, both asthetically and for the health and well being of the fish.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I had 7 gouramis in my freshwater tank at some time. All were bit terretorial but were fine and harmed nothing.

prdoring

by prdoring

Dont wory the new tank has one of the two filters from my old one... so the bacteria should take in no time... i will be posting pics of the new tank soon! its 36 gal

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

I agree with adding more tetras if you can. I had a thirty gallon with a dwarf gourami and twenty or so neons. I put a few guppies in there as an attemp to save their lives, I had to take them out asap, the gourami did not like them at all.

prdoring

by prdoring

Well the new tank now has six neons and a dwarf gourami, I figured i would evaluate his behavior and return him if he was to aggressive, before putting my guppies in. The tetras are schooling great and are super active, as for the gourami It seems as though I lucked out and got a really peaceful one. He is super timid, and when the tetra school swims by him, he will either do nothing, or move, so no sign of nipping yet. The tank barely cycled, due to the bacteria transfer the levels have been reading zero consistently. I will transfer my molly and one of the guppies tomorrow, and keep a close eye on the water readings, and the gouramis behavior. I have a feeling aggression will not be an issue.

jeffvmd

by jeffvmd

I have had the same dilemna before I got my dwarf gourami.
I currently have 10 neons, 5 cherry barbs, 2 golden pristella tetras, a veil angelfish and a male neon blue dwarf gourami in my 10 gallon tanks.
The gourami doesn't bother the tetras and cherries. He chases the angel from time to time but no nipping occurs. As long as they are in their separate tank corners the angel and the gourami won't bother one another. They have been living ok in the community tank for about 4 months now.
d56ad-P4161786.JPG

Dwarf Gouramis

7 posts