Finishing my freshwater aquarium

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Geoff70

by Geoff70

Better a live solution to an algae problem than a chemical one - get a cleanup crew to do the job. Plecs, cats, shrimp (wouldn't recommend snails though).

mro2you2

by mro2you2

its not just the algea it is that I want my plants to grow.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Your hood takes florescent bulbs only I assume, so I don't think you can use the hood to grow plants.

If it had screw in sockets I'd suggest SHO compact screw in florescents that are supposed to be really good for plants.

Petco, and probably Petsmart have higher wattage lights now with each of the 2 bulbs being I think 29 watts. Buy or find (like I do) a peice of plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of your aquarium.

Cut out sections for filter equipment and dich your present hood.

That's what I'd do if I wanted something that looks nice. If I didn't care what it looks like and money is a problem I'd buy a double 40 watt 2 foot long fixture (or 3 if your tank is that long) from the hardware store.

I have a 4, 4 foot long, 40 watt each florescent fixture from the hardware store on my 100 gallon and the plants are doing fine. Bulbs are $1.99 a peice and the fixture was less than $20.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I found what you said and it was a total of 150!!!!! I dont have that kind of money so I guess I am just going to let my fresh the way it is.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You can order a good T5 for less. I had a hardware one with 2, 2 foot bulbs and the whole thing was less than $15 or $20.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Mr: I agree w/PK. To have a really nicely planted tank, you will need to upgrade your lights. What kind of plants do you have? There are some low light plants that might survive in your tank like java moss and crypts. I have some cryptocoryn wendtii in a low light ten gallon and it's doing pretty well, not growing very fast, but it's hanging in there.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

i dont know my plants.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Go to www.plantgeek.com and look up

Java fern, Java moss, anubias bartari, anubias nana, amazon sword.

These among others are low light plants that may grow well under your lights.

All the short ground cover plants like micro sword, hair grass, baby tears, are high light plants and you won't be able to grow them.

There are some good links on the plant geek forum for inexpensive high quality lights, but you'll have to find the right thread in the forum and it may take a few trys to find a post where there are good links on inexpensive lights.

I still think you should ditch your hood and use hardware store florescents. They are super cheap and with a little DIY fiddling and a cut peice of plexiglass for your top you will have a great light for less than $20. You can cover the light fixture with a nice peice of material to make it pretty too.

Finishing my freshwater aquarium

18 posts • Page 2 of 2