Local LFS has a baby alligator gar!!!!???? Illegal in CA

16 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

A lot of places have closed due to the economy.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I hate it when pet stores carry fish that your average hobbyist will never be able to care for properly. A pet store selling a fish that grows to be 10 feet is the most ridiculous thing i've ever heard. My local petsmart ALWAYS has pacus in stock with a recommended minimum tank size of (i think) 55 gallons. I always wonder what percentage of them even make it to adulthood. It's sad.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

My LFS has sharks......and you would think WHO IN THE WORLD WOULD BUY SHARKS?!!!? Well suprisingly.....quite a few people. A guy in my reef club is trying to study the behavior of sharks......so he has a kiddy pool in his garage with three baby sharks. When I say a kiddie pool.......I mean an above ground pool........3000-4000 gallons.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If I had a pond I'd love to buy an alligator gar or three, but the chances of this fish having a long and happy life are bleak.

My gars grow to 3-4 feet in the wild and have stopped growing after a couple years. The biggest, a female, is 15 inches and the 2 other males are smaller.

They seem very happy and healthy and have the deep (not wide) body shape (which is supposed to be good). Thank God they haven't gotten any bigger.

I don't have the $$$ for a 300 gallon tank and I don't want to have to give them to Sea World which is a LONG drive. They probably won't want to take them either. I know they have Florida gars and my plan, if it comes to it, was to basically leave them at their doorstep with a note about their health and run.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

my LFS sells dwarf hammerheads and sting rays.

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

my LFS sells sturgeon that are 3 in long

Local LFS has a baby alligator gar!!!!???? Illegal in CA

16 posts • Page 2 of 2