Ph Help

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

HBibbers

Ph Help

by HBibbers

I can't get my Ph in my 55 gallon tank to go down. It is really high like a 8.4 I have had this tank set up for over 2 years now. (highest the Ph has been) My Nitrites, Nitrates, and Ammonia are non existent. I have Convicts and Jack Demseys in this tank. I just recently took out my 2 pieces of driftwood to try to cure them more. So I am not sure if that is the problem. I also do frequent water changes, once a week. I don't like buying chemicals to put in the tank, but I did buy a Ph decrease, that didn't do anything to the Ph. I also have a 10 gallon tank and the Ph is just fine there. What can I do? Should I put the wood back in?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Put the wood back in

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, I agree to put the wood back in. Tea color will fade after a while and won't hurt your fish.

Don't cichlids like higher pH?

I gave up on lowering my pH a long time ago. I just make due with a 8
and my tetras and other fish are doing fine.

OK. Mine is around 7 with the added co2, but it was 8. If you have cichlids (which I think like higher pH) and they are healthy I would probably leave it alone.

Some say wood helps a lot. I've found that it barely does anything, but yea, put it in. Grow some java moss on it. It's low light, easy to grow tied on initially with thread, and it looks cool.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If the fish nibble on the java moss (if you like that idea) that is good. The stuff does well with fish that nibble on it.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I agree to put the wood back in & PK he has American which prefer soft.

Alot people will disagree but I think you should never mix the two with a different pH requirement, it stresses the fish then gives it a shorter life spand & then sometimes just kill it.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've heard that some farm raised fish such as tetras have been acclimatised to be able to tollerate higher pH. In the wild Neons at least live in soft, slightly acidic water.

Mine are very healthy at pH7.

Waterboy94

by Waterboy94

What is the pH of the water you're filling the tank with? i am assuming if you're doing frequent water changes and the pH is still not decreasing the pH of your water source to fill the tank is high. i would put the wood back in because i believe the wood could lower your pH some. I would test the pH of your incoming water and go from there.

myklein2

by myklein2

Fish stores sell gravel that is designed to raise the Ph for african cichlids. Any chance you have that type of gravel?

Ph Help

8 posts