Aquarium Photo

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

russ531

Aquarium Photo

by russ531

Brand new here, but have learned more in the past few days from this site and its forums, than I learned from hands on experience and talking to people who are "in the know." Thanks for that.

Now for the stupid question-I see so many great pictures of aquariums on this site and want to post some of my 55 gal tank, but can not seem to get it right. I have tried various settings on my digital camera (flash, night and ones I don't even know what they are) and either the flash shows in the glass and/or washes all the color away and the night setting captures the colors, but any moving fish turn into a blur from the longer exposure.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

celticwraith

by celticwraith

I turn all the lites out and leave the tank lites on, I don't use the flash. When I have used the flash I take the picture on a slight angle to reduce the glare.

russ531

by russ531

Thanks celticwraith. I've tried all that, but am still not happy with the resulting photos. Getting lots of snow here this weekend, so I think I will play around with taking some more pics. Really not too much more to do-LOL

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

theres a couple of other posts in here about photographing tanks with some good pointers ....look em up, one thing that help me greatly was putting my finger about 1/4 inch away from the front of the flash yet not covering it - -this allowed the flash to work but not shoot directly at the tank glass - -also if your useing a good digital set it down around 2 megapixels {i know it sucks for quality} but if your up in the 7-8-9 megapixel range you'll end up having to crop the hell out of it to get it to post on the site - - the size restriction is very small @ 500KB per pic - - i'd hate to see you finally get a few great pics and then find you have to chop em down to alsmost nothing to fit ...lol good luck

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Shooting fish is very difficult... try taking an angle from the side, this will help with the flash exposure off the glass. The correct way to get moving fish will be to set your ISO higher, but to do this you need to introduce more light. If you don't have other lights other than your flash, you will need to stand at an angle. ive tried using no flash with lights off and setting my ISO low so that I can get a nice natural shot of the tank, and waited until my fish slowed down (i have angels, so i can afford this). If you are really inclined, you can ask user Nobobo as he is an avid photographer and you can see from his shots he knows exactly what he is doing. Hope this helps.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Nobobo is on these forums? His tank is amazing.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

yes just look up his name on the forum search, he has posted a question before

Aquarium Photo

7 posts