ey guys check this out.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

eazy4647

ey guys check this out.

by eazy4647

a fewthings. if u dont mind reading a bit. sorry. i like to type. but first thing. i came home, and one of my air stones was up floating freely at the top of the tank. i noticed when i reached for it. dat both my fishes were in at the top. well. my maroon clown was. but my poor little scooter couldnt make it. one the double i submerged the airstone. and my scooter went str8 for the best spot on th LR right next to it. crazy. also im sure everyones had it. i had my first "moment" with my tank and fish..i fed him with my finger and he came right to it and picked it.(maroon clown).

snowboss

by snowboss

Eazy,

CONGRATS !!! on the hand feeding - - I don't care how long anyone has had a tank - -that never gets old . . . . . might i suggest a powerhead, I have a power sweep [1 of the 2 powerheads im running in my 20gl] it sweeps back and forth to make some current for the fish {they love it !!} it will help with dead spots for some algae control and they have a venturi option on them to introduce air into the water - - from what your saying {and don't panic} your not putting enough air in the water for the lil guys [i don't care for airstones in a salt tank IMO]- - i have 2 HOB filters, a skimmer, and 2 power heads - - with no air hooked up - - the filters and skimmer add enough for my tank - - my local LFS is crazy high priced and I saw the same powersweep I have for like 26 bucks - -so it's not a huge investment and like i said the fish will love it - -sometimes mine would swim at like crazy like they were going some where "fish treadmill" LOL - Boss

angus4481

by angus4481

ya dude, congrates on hand feeding. DH is right, sounds like you need a powerhead. try for a korilla or something that despenses the water equaly.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

ok i was looking into getting a power head but i have to ask. is there such a thing as too much current? making the fishes not be able to swim thru it or so.i dont wanna make em have to work to hard to get around. the out flow of my filter can be adjusted so would dat be enough current? im just afraid fo too much current and them not being able to move around. and one more thing. my maroon clown will not leave a corner of my tank unless he gonna eat. he chills right by the heater. alwaysssssss is it dat he might want the water hotter? i have it at 80 degrees. help please guys. or u think he might be missing a anome?

angus4481

by angus4481

you have to think: water in the ocean, is in motion. every inch of it. the thing is, finding out how much to move. you have a 30 long, you should move at least, 4 times the tank capacity every hour, if not more. the main thing is, moving water so the whole tank is moving, not just the majority, and ur fish shouldn't go speed racer across the tank either. find something in between. that is why i like korillas powerheads, their strong, but dispence the water eaqualy.basicaly, the more moving water you have the better. hope i've helped

eazy4647

by eazy4647

perfect. perfect info angus.! high 5. im gonna go today check on a power head and bring one home ;] too impatient to wait for delivery if ordered online. so ive got 2 fishes so far !!! my maroon clown(tom..funny he was named tom cuz originally i had bought 2 one was bigger then the other and the bigger one was chasing and bullying the smaller one around so i had to return it so we named em both tom and jerry lol. and my scooter blenny. now im gonna try and start my coral search !! ive got my lights nova extreme. so i think im prepared.lol hopefully!!!! thanks guys. ill be updating my pics today hope u guys like how its going so far.!! salt water rocks!!!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

LOL .....I love to here the excitement of a fellow tank master, makes me feel not so corny when i spazz out about something that happens in mine, hehehe - -I agree with ngus 100% on the power head - - good rulle of thumb for water flow requirements is - LOW = 1-2 times the tank volume per hour, MODERATE = 2-4 tmes per hour [whaick is pretty much average for any tank} and High = 6 + times per hour....... this is just a basic rule of thumb when looking a livestock requirements - - you'll find down the road that some high end corals will require 8-10 times the volume and almost laser quality lighting {but thats pretty extreme} good advice and your on you way nicelt Eazy - - - can't wait to see the pics

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

awsome effect through the tank and requires less PH's. Hook a tube or pvc pipe to your ph and poke holes throughout the tube or pvc pipe. Dude the flow throughout the tank is amazing and will prevent too strong of a current, but evenly distributes current and kiss dead spots goodbye. Dont worry about the looks of it because it will be covered in algae(hopefully the good stuff if your playing your cards right) if you have live rock. Have fun man!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

cool idea FR, i think i might try that - -in my 20 long the water is low and long [only 12 inches deep and 30 inches long - -so no matter how many fiters and PH's I run i still fight a couple dead spots - - I move a PH and it gets the dead spot but is sandblasting something else - - lol, I would be able to direct one PH to multiple places with your suggestion., nice.......Boss

ey guys check this out.

9 posts