How to keep a sandbed clean.

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Ill get a pic of it but my sand bed and rocks are covered with algea. I have 7 hermits but that still doestn help. my tank looks ugly with all the algea and I would like to know who you keep yours so clean.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Its probably just diatoms. I get them here and there. Its just a sign of a growing reef tank. Maybe your over feeding. If its a thick mat.....then your probably looking at red slime. Which means you need more flow. Either way a little more flow wont hurt. if its gassing off bubbles.....then its deff diatoms. :)

mro2you2

by mro2you2

oh I have red slime on my rocks.

jwingate

by jwingate

Mine was like hat and i got a tiger conch, their about $7.00, cool to watch, and really get the job done, i only have a 30 gallon tank though and one did it for me.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

would a fighting conch work to???

fihsboy

by fihsboy

fighting conchs are sick...only problem with them......they are exactly what there name says.....fighters. They will kill ANY snail in your tank.....its just a matter of time.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I dont have snails, nor want them. I have hermits.

newbie916

by newbie916

How long has your tank been setup? How's your water quality? I'm assuming you have nitrates and phosphates in your water. That's what the algae feeds off of. Also, the algae absorbs the phos and nitrates, so your tests may read much lower than what it really is. How much are you feeding your tank? Do you do consistant water changes? Are you using RO water? I've found the best way to maintain my tank and to reduce nuisance algae is water changes. I do daily 1 gallon water changes and 5 gallon weekly water changes on my 24 gallon. My 95 gallon I do 30 gallon water changes every other week.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Some other food for thought......calcium carbonate binds phosphates......chemically. What happens is bacteria breaks down nitrates into phosphates......phosphates are premium compounds for algae to feed on.......Well before the algae can feed on the phosphates......your sand and live rock absorb the phosphates like a sponge...they have a holding capacity for phosphates...The only reason it is released from the sand or rock work, is because bacteria is digesting it out of the rocks.....then its being released from the calcium carbonate into the water column. Well.....a lot of times it doesnt reach the water column and algae will get to it before it gets too far.......causing unsightly algae blooms from your sand. Thats where and why algae occurs on sand. How do I fix this? Agressive protein skimming......large water changes......phosphate removal media...all three of these methods work wonders and can help you keep your sand clean, and sps growing nicely. :) Hows that for an explanation?

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

What happens if you gravel siphon sand? Does it all get sucked up?

I'm curious, because I have kitty litter/gravel/aragonite substrate, and have never tried sand.

16 posts • Page 1 of 2