If calcium goes too high

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Legalizeg13

If calcium goes too high

by Legalizeg13

Can a calcium level that's too high be detramental to coraline growth if not then what are the negative effects of very high calcium levels

fihsboy

by fihsboy

It cant get too high. It will precipatate out of solution. aka cause cloudyness......create sand...I have had mine as high as 550 before...its just harder to keep everything balanced with rediculously high levels. Try matching your alkalinity to that proportionally........you cant......then you would kill stuff. So the idea is to have everything proportionally correct for the proper growth. :) HTH

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ohh yeah......most of the time corraline algae depends on alk and magnesium more so than calcium.......EVERYONE focuses on calcium....and not mag and alk as much.....the problem is when they get out of wack......nothing grows as well.

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

My calcium seriously got up to 700 but everthing seem to be enjoying life better that way stopped supplimenting and it's droped to 500 in so far does that mean mag is low or will it drop to a balance and then stop

fihsboy

by fihsboy

you would have to test the rest of your levels. But if your calcium didnt precipitate out of solution by 700......your alk is too low.

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

I tested my alk it's 2.75meq/l or 137 ppm I don't have a mag test but all other peramitters are perfect. A friend who is really really good at this stuff told me that calcium suppliments in liquid form will not percipitate out And the only way to lower is water change is that true

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ehh......just dont dose it. it will go away if you have any corals......I use DKH to measure the stability. I like to keep my DKH at 9-10. If my carbonate hardness is inline......the rest should be. Or it usually is. The fastest way to re balance your tank.......water change. i agree with that completly. But if you dose just the alk for a few days.......the calcium will deplete and become balanced again....juts my .02

If calcium goes too high

7 posts