Clamp on type metal halide for 30 gallon long planted.

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I want one of these lights.

Anyone with some knowlege on this subject is appreciated. I want to know whether I should use 70, 150, or 250 watts, what differences in kelvin rating, color, etc, I should know before I buy.

Do corals need a different spectrum than plants?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Corals DO need a different spectrum than plants. I learned recently that if you put a marine bulb on a freshwater tank, the light will benefit algae growth more than plants.

Hopefully someone else can address the rest of your question.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm vasillating on buying one of these clamp-on lights. I've seen them in action at my LFS and they're beautifull. I want that shimmering effect only a point source light can produce.

They go for about $200 for a 150 watt fixture.

I may just save money and buy a new bulb for my 95 watt PC.

The thing is, I would have to remove the PC to use the clamp-on, and the PC has an actinic bulb that really lights up the Cardinal tetras nicely.

I'm still thinking. It would be best probably to buy a combo of flourescents and metal halides (2 MH's). These are a bit out of my price range though.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If anyone knows of a cheap combo of high output flourescents and MH's I would be interested. Maybe One MH with a couple flourescents as this tank is only 18 inches deep.

One a different note on the same thread (don't like hogging up the site):

I just bought 9 Gold Tetras which are really nice for this tank. They school together and their school often intertwines with the Cardinals in beautiful ways.

One of these new acquisitions has a red upper eye lid. It looks just like the other gold tetras but it's the only one with a red upper eye lid.

Anyway. I love this tank!

4 posts