placo question ?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mattpruegert

placo question ?

by mattpruegert

i have two placos one gold nugget and one regular brown one can i use sand for my substraight ?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Yes

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That common pleco's gona get huge. My local San Fernando Valley (Balboa Park Lake) is full of them. People often get rid of them when they become too big, and I think they're breeding in this lake now. I've seen mexicans (not an insult to Mexicans; they are very resourcful) catch buckets full of them allong with tilapia for food.

Not sure I'd be able to eat a pleco as they're built like an armored car. Maybe you can boil them for a few days and make soup?

There are a few types of catfish that stay small and can be similar to small plecos.

I had a 6-7 inch pleco that at night would suck on my gars. I didn't see this behavior during the day, but I read about it and ignored the advice. The pleco would cause contusions on the gars and it led to one dieing of a bacterial infection.

I don't think they're a problem with most other fish except for the fact that they'll get to over a foot long pretty quick. Have you noticed (if you have a real aquarium store that allows returns) that many have a few large returned plecos?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

PK...You live in the Valley?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yup. You too?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Yep....I just moved from Chatsworth to Canyon Country a year ago. I used to coach baseball at Balboa.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Cool. If you need any plants, or something I have and don't want, ask.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

What LFS do you go to?

placo question ?

8 posts