What kind of lighting set up should I put on a 10 gal reef

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

I need to house bubbles brains frogspawn mushrooms moon coral that kinda stuff

fihsboy

by fihsboy

LPS? I would go with a simple PC setup......halides will be too much.....and no T5HO bulbs will fit over that. You can get a simple PC bulb fixture that would work fine.

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

I have 3 ten gallon tanks fixed at an angel at eye level into a wall I put nova t5ho 18'' 2x18w what kind of bulbs would be best they came with 1 actinic 420 I think and 1 10kk

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That depends on what your going for. Do you want good growth? Good coloration? Both?

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

I want to grow as rapidly as possible I want to put a single coral in each tank and over time overgrow each tank with nothing but that individual coral and in doing so I can meet the most perfect condition for each coral which is part of my answer I know but which bulbs would do rapid coral growth

fihsboy

by fihsboy

The lower the kelvin rating the higher the PAR. Par is photosynthetic Active Radiation. Its what fuels your little guys growth. Well.......20K look great but offer low par levels. 10K have high par levels and look like hell. 6500K is what the sun is.........and your going to get outstanding growth with them. But they are very yellow. If your going with growth.......6500K will be your answer. Its not a crisp white.......but it will offer the biggest PAR advantage giving you the best growth rates. A 6500k 150watt metal halide would be the equivalent to a 20K 250 watt metal halide.......they would offer the same growth rates...roughly.....but almost double the power. I run 10K bulbs because you get a nice crisp white with great growth. I know your thinking PC bulbs or T5HO....I would go with T5HO its cheaper in the long run. :)

6 posts