Can Anyone Tell Me the Problem?

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

prdoring

by prdoring

Hello there,
This is my first tank, and it is 3 weeks old. Yesterday I picked up a platy and today I noticed a whitish patch on its side. Here are some pictures, sorry about the quality, ll I have is a Iphone Right now... If anyone can Identify this and recommend a treatment, It would be greatly appreciated...
62af2-fijprob1.JPG

prdoring

by prdoring

Also His top fin seems clamped, but his tail and bottom fins seem fine, he is eating fine, and he is not getting picked on by my guppies.
1fee9-sick2.JPG

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Does is eat?
Did It look like it when you bought it?
Does it seem slow?
does it hang in one spot?
pH?
how is the nitrate, nitrite, etc.

It could be decoloration of a disease or could be just how its natural color is. Answer all od these and we will find out.

prdoring

by prdoring

-Yes He does Eat

-I bought him yesterday, so Im thinking he looks the same

-He seems kind of mellow, but he seems to be adventuring around the tank happily, but compared to my guppies he seems slow.

-Every now and then he will cool out for a bit in one area

-I jsut got the water tested yesterday, nitrate and nitrite was fine, The water was a bit hard but nothing to serious

-The white is only showing up on one side

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It could be a wound from being transported or kept in an unsuitable condition before you aquired it, or it could be fungus.

Is it fuzzy?

If it's a wound keeping the water perams good, doing water changes to maintain that, and using Melafix should help it heal. Should be pretty easy to tell if it's a wound or a natural color variation.

Melafix is a natural product made from Tea tree oil, and it's an antiseptic.

If it is a wound and is getting worse it's probably a bacterial infection. There are antibiotics that are avaliable, but should only be used as a last resort. They can interfere or kill benneficial bacteia in your filter.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

By the way. I think some of those plants of yours are not aquatic plants. Aquarium stores sell them all the time as aquatic and they'll eventually die unless the leaves can rise above the water.

kraigt

by kraigt

Your describing columnaris symptons, look at this page and see if its anywhere similar to your fish

http://www.fishjunkies.com/Diseases/columnaris.php

theres also a section on how to cure, but make sure you are fully aware of what it is your fish has before you place any chemicals into your tank as different fish respond in different ways and its not always safe to take the risk if you don't have to.

prdoring

by prdoring

Its not fuzzy... so hopefully its not bacteria... Ill pick up some of that melafix tomorrow... thanks a ton for the help and ill keep yall updated on his status... Also thanks for the info on the plants, Ill pick up some different ones while Im out...

prdoring

by prdoring

Ok now the whiteness is going away, but it appears as though he has a red scratch down his side...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Fuzzy would be fungus. That is a good link prdoring.

Sounds like it's healing. The salt addition is also a good idea, though it has to be non-iodised salt, and the amount depends on the kind of fish you have. I think I'll let you do research on that or let someone else say how much is good. It helps the fish's slime coat which helps combat infections.

17 posts • Page 1 of 2