New member starting out...a few questions.

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

PlantsAteMyFish

by PlantsAteMyFish

I've always been fascinated with aquariums all my life but have never personally owned one. That was until this past weekend when I picked up a used 110 gal tank. It was used previously as a saltwater tank but I will be using it for freshwater. I know many veterans of this hobby will say a 110 gal tank is too much for a beginner. They'll also think I'm foolish for going planted as well but that's my plan. However I'm not going into this blindly and have done some research but of course there's still lots to learn and many questions to ask so here goes.

Should I plant first or fill the tank, treat the water and let the pump cycle the water for a day or two first? It will definitely be easier to plant first but finding where and how to treat and aerate 110 gal of water will be a problem.

The tank came with a wet/dry filter and I'm planning on using it with my setup. The overflow tank sits only about an inch or two below the water line so I'm assuming only water in the area of the overflow tank is being syphoned down into the sump. How can I improve water circulation so that water in all areas of the tank are going down into the filter?

I'm going to give it about a good 2-3 weeks before introducing any fish to start the "cycle". I'm thinking of a small school of 5 or 6 Danios. Considering the size of the tank is this still too many fishes at one time?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't know much about salt water "wet/dry filters, so someone else could address that.

I've seen a few pics of master plants aquariests, and I'd definally plant before you fill it up. Take some time selecting a good substraight for plants, such as Eco Complete ( My favorite) or another "plant" sustraight.

One note. Some people including myself have tried layering 2 or more typs of gravel. It doesn't work, sepecially with Eco Complete. You can put one kind in the back and one in the front though. put a cardboard devider from end to end halfway or therabouts back, and then add the two types oneither side. Then pull out the cardboard and you'll have soil for certian plants in the back and another kind for the front

I'd spend a lot of time researching setting up a planted tank. Low light plants require less work, money, and hassel, and these are some of my favorite plants, but plants requiring a lot of light may need co2 gas to be injected with a co2 system and the lights are very expensive. The flourescents need replacing every 8 or so months and the cost can add up.

If you have a mostly plant tank with few fish you can get away with less filtration as thick plant growth actually creats it's own biological filtration. I like to way over filter myself though because I like to have fish with my plants as I expect you do as well, and over filtering is allways better than under filtering.

Current is an issue. It's healthy for the plants and the fish. Too much can exaust some fish, but danios would love it. Powerheads are great and the good ones enrtrain air into the flow creating more current and airation. My 100 gallon has 2 huge powerheads attatched to an undergravel filter system (though an UGF is not usually possible with a planted tank and is going out of popularity).

The 5 or 6 danios should be fine as cycle starters, though be careful not to feed too much till you get zero ammonia and zero nitrites( ie, get a good water test kit that tests for pH, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates at least) .

I don't know if danios are really schooling fish though. I bought some small striped fish (can't remember the name) and they didn't school. They all just swam around in an inharmonious frenzy and I removed them in favor of a large school of Cardinal Tetras.

Anyway......Do that setting up a plant tank research. Figure out how to arrange wood (some plants only grow on wood, or sometimes rocks--can;t be grown in the substraight), and or rocks, and or whatever suits you for decor. Plant plants that are small toward the front and vise versa.

You've got a nice big tank. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

PS: Check out Takashi Amano for a look at his planted tanks. His and people like him have created unbeleivable masterpeices. You've got to check him out.
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh, in case you didn't know, it's the fish poop that starts the cycle, so the cycle won't start until you add fish. Don't change the filter material, or replace it till the cycle has been established to where you have zero ammonia and nitrites, and you have production of nitrates. This shows that your benneficial bacteria in the filter have colonised and cycling properly. Some people freak out when the ammonia rises, or the nitrites, which it will until your biological filter is working (cycling), and they replace the filter material removing all the benneficial bacteria.

Anyway, have fun..PK

PlantsAteMyFish

by PlantsAteMyFish

Thanks for all the advice.

I'll be using Flourite substrate and have 6 bags coming in. Hopefully it will be enough. I plan on having a sandy area at the middle front of the tank, a few lava and slate rocks, and two large pieces of driftwood. To get everything ready in time for the plants (this weekend or early next week) I'll probably have to boil the driftwood to speed up the sanitation process.

I just remembered that the tank came with 2 powerheads so I'll use one to help circulate the water. But the suction cup mounts for them are all stiff and no long sticks. Where can I get replacement suction cups? Also do you suggest using an air pump and air stone for more aeration or would the powerhead and wet/dry filter produce enough circulation?

For the lighting I knew the dinky 4x 24" fluorescents in the canopy wasn't going to cut it so I have on order a 48" 4x65w compact fluorescent fixture. By using 2 of the 24" lights along with the 48" I should have about 300w of total light (~3w per gallon).

Can't wait to get started once everything comes in but I'm not going to fall for the beginner's mistake of getting everything in in one day. Must have patience. I'll keep you guys updated and hopefully some pics along the way.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I'd add something but PK said all needs to be said...and regular users on this site should know me by now, if I get to typing on cycling tanks it may lead into forever :)

Good job PK (((thumbs up)))

5 posts