Automatic feeders

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Automatic feeders

by natalie265

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm talking about the feeders that drop a bit of food into the tank daily, NOT those blocks that slowly dissolve in the tank. The reason why i ask is that i'm just setting up a 55 gallon tank in my office. I work in a school and have about 2 months off in the summer. I'll be coming to the school on a weekly basis to do cleaning and maintenance, but it would be nice to not have to worry about them at all during the interim. What do you think?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as long as it is for a short while and not to take the place of your not feeding them (I frown upon this).

But if you have to, and in this case, it appears you must, then you can either get one online at:

https://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/ ... 12136&s=hl

or something similar at your local neighborhood store.

Best to get one that will feed high quality flakes for 30 days on a digitized timer.

Hope this helps

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I think as long as you have a good understanding of what your fish ''need'' beforehand, and you can test the auto feeder a bit, they're fine to use.

Many frown upon them because they set them up without giving much thought about how much excess food will be dispensed and how detrimental this can be to a tank. I can already see thats not the case with you.

I would just be sure to pick one where you can get the most detailed increments, and one hopefully that would dispense the leaner end of the spectrum rather than the fatter if you get my meaning.

Test it out under observation first if you find a lot of excess food just cut it back if possible, or set to only feed every few days and add some bottom scavengers like ghost shrimp or mts, pond snails, etc.

Fish can survive a long time with very little food, so a day or two at a time without feeding generally won't hurt their longevity or cause them any discomfort they wouldn't normally go through in the wild anyway when food is scarce.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree Tmer...every Sunday, I do not feed the fish in order to clean out their digestive systems and it gives the inhabitants time to clean whatever is leftover in the tank. Sometimes, I will fast the fish for 3-4 days, to cut down on the bioload or to thoroughly clean out their digestive systems.

As far as frowning upon this type of feeding, what I meant was, part of the pleasure of fishkeeping is feeding the fish. Via observation while feeding we get to know the fish, we can see if fish are ill or not, etc...this is what I meant. But in this case, she will be on vacation, so an automatic feeder has its place.

Some people purchase automatic feeders cause they are too lazy to feed their fish. I bet the same people who are too lazy to feed their fish also are too lazy to water change once or twice a week.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Okay, thanks for your opinions. I think i'll purchase one right away so that i can test it out and experiment with it long before summer break. And i do have a back-up plan if it turns out not to work. I'm really excited to be taking my hobby into my place of employment! I'll post pics after it's all set up!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've thought about getting one or two of these for vacations and such, but I also have cats and so many pumps and lights. If the power goes off some of the pumps have to be restarted manually and I really need somone to come and check on things every 3 days I've figured.

For my smaller fish a feeder might be good as I'd like them to have at least some food daily for them.

I need to set up timers (I only have one), probably 2 more, Baggies with food so my freind doesn't have to worry about how much to feed, and other considerations.

Going away is a big pain in the butt.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

I actually have one on my tank. I wouldn't rely on it and its not very efficient when it comes to the amount it it feeds the fish. Some time it could feed alot, some time it feed little. I use it purely for the convenience of just pushing a button to dispense the food. Plus on the days I do forget to feed my fish, I know they will at least get some food to hold them over until i remember to feed them.

Tien6079

by Tien6079

Peterkarig, I like to use daily vitamin cases when I go out of town and have someone looking after my tank...well atleast as far as frsh water is concerned. My salt water fish have to be manually fed thawed food.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Good idea Tien.

jeffvmd

by jeffvmd

I have been using the penn plax 2x daily feeder on my tank. So far one of the cheapest battery operted feeder around. You might have to tweak the tube opening if you really need very small amounts of food for smaller fishes and really crush the flakes. I just placed a clear tape strip in the food inlet inside the food drum to make the portion of food dispensed smaller as I have smaller fishes in my tank. For larger tanks I think the DIY adjustment won't be necessary.
I've seen them on sale at petco website which is cheaper by about 40-50% and cheaper at walmart.

Automatic feeders

11 posts • Page 1 of 2