Old driftwood

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

Old driftwood

by spongebob4460

I have some driftwood that i used in my aquarium a few months back, but then removed. It is sitting out, dry, in the open. In the future, if i want to use this driftwood in my tank again, do I have to boil and prepare it again, or can I just drop it back in my tank with no issues? thanks

miami754

by miami754

I just put my old peice back in and everything was fine (it was outside an aquarium for about 1.5 years). It did take it a couple of days to get back to being waterlogged and sink, but it didn't stain the water or anything.

gumbii

by gumbii

what color is it...??

some driftwood would get all white and nasty i would just throw it away... when you throw it back into the tank it gets the water all gross... i've had some driftwood that got moldy and rotted when i let it dry out... so i don't know... look at it, and boil it again just to make sure it doesn't fall apart, or leak some nasty stuff back into the tank...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

you're right, why take the chance on my tank... if i need it i will boil it and put in a bucket for a few days just to be safe. How long do you boil for?

gumbii

by gumbii

um... i'm wierd about putting things into my tanks... i boil for a couple of days straight... i have a huge pot, and i probably boil 30-40 pots full of water at a time... um.. i don't recomend doing this... it's just because i do have some rare fish...

good luck... some pics would be nice, but we can't post anything in this forum... fail...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Just saw some nice big super nice pieces at Petco for $25. This stuff is really heavy and I like the "old stump" look. I'm buying a piece tomorrow.

gumbii

by gumbii

dude have you guy's checked out ebay...??? man they have some amazing pieces on there... let me find some links...

gumbii

by gumbii

OMG check this piece out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Unique-River-Bottom ... dZViewItem

just go to ebay, and type in driftwood or drift wood... i've seen some awesome pieces up in that place, and they are reasonably priced shipped...

but still... i'm not down for buying stuff online... but that's a possible come up...

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That looks like some lightweight wood a lizard or terrestrial animal would climb on. It's beautiful but I like the dark red knotted up pieces, some that look like old tree stumps already aged and heavy enough to stay under without rocks.

gumbii

by gumbii

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dl ... 26fsoo%3D2

boil then put in ice cold water... that will make anything stay down...

Old driftwood

11 posts • Page 1 of 2