airating

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

petersonestates

airating

by petersonestates

i am not having a problem just wondering if you can over airate a fresh water fish tank and how would you know

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I dont think so but to much would cause ALOT of salt creep.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Fresh water Mro2you2!!!!!

You can't airate to much. Current is good for many fish, but some can't handle it if their fins are too big.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

aerate a tank is good...if you mean filtration which I believe you do...you always want to go at least 10 times the recommended amount.

For instance, on a tank that is 100 gallons, you want at least 1,000 gph of filtration running. If the tank is 55 gallons, you want at least 550 gph from a powerhead. If the tank is 75 gallons, you want at least 750 gph of flow from the water pump.

On airstones and what not, in time, you will find these little gadgets a waste of time unless you like the look. There are no gph on airstones (I'm sure we know this).

So in the case of filtration, the more the better.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

The common misconception is that by introducing bubbles in your tank you're aerating it. The truth is you are but its indirect. The tank is not being aerated until the bubbles reach the surface and break the surface tension of the water allowing micro amounts of oxygen back in. Good filtration at the surface of the water breaks the tension and will just as effectively if not more than an airstone oxygenate your tank.

paconubbins

by paconubbins

Water can only hold a set amount of Oxygen at a given temperature. The higher the temp the less oxygen and vice versa. You really can't over airate. With that said, I once added a "tornado" effect thing in my tank...lights, circulation, bubbles...crazy stuff. I must have bought the wrong size or something because it filled my tank with bubbles...it looked like a carbonated beverage! But as Tmercier83 notes - it was only bubbles, the oxygen level didn't really rise much.

-Adam

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

in freshwater tanks, oxygen level should only read average of 8.3 ppm

bubble makers create just that bubbles

the surface water creates oxygen

for instance, anytime you see rolling rivers, you know as a fact that river has plenty oxygen...whereas swamps, very little oxygen but the fish and other inhabitants evolved years without plentiful oxygen

a water flow pump, powerhead, hang-over-the-back filtration, or/and tubing devices that create the suface to become agitated on a consistent basis, 24/7, is creating oxygen in the water column

it is true, the higher the temperature, the lower the oxygen...the lower the temperature, the more of oxygen is in the water column...reason one needs to find a balance

sometimes, if you find a dead fish without explanation, it is good to raise the temperature for it helps to kill off disease

also, when the temperature drops fish are less active, when the temperature rises the fish are more active

ahhhhhhhhhhhh nature, what a web it weaves :)

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

It's possible to have too strong of a current from an aerator. I've got lots of baby fish in my tank because it's a breeding tank. If the baby fish are forced to swim all the time and there isn't any place in the tank where they can hide from the current, then they don't grow as fast and may even die. I solve this problem by having lots and lots of plants. The plants block the current and the baby fish hide between them. There's still water circulation in the main water column, but the corners and around the walls have very little current. One waterfall filter that's rated for a ten gallon tank. That's all I use for current in my 55 gallon aquarium. I think most of the dissolved oxygen probably comes from the growing plants (they grow super fast because of the 30 ppm CO2). They grow three inches in a day sometimes.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

"Fresh water Mro2you2!!!!! "

I aint no ding dong!!! I have tons O salt creep on my fresh.ILL get a pic for you just to prove it.

airating

9 posts