Dose calcium get used up or stay pretty stable?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Legalizeg13

by Legalizeg13

My calcium level is always the same everone tells me I need to keep adding calcium to keep my level at 415-450 except it will stay the same at 415-450 only if I don't add after it's set ofcorse but do I have to continue adding calcium if I do my level go off the chart

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Well it depends......What corals do you have? Stoney corals suck up calcium.....LPS.....your water can be like crap....Softies.......softies dont really care whats in the water. If what your doing is working.......dont change a thing!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

so do you need kalkwasser for soft? A friend of mine thinks so but I told him thats only for hard. I need to know because first soft coral is coming soon too.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

A common misconception with kalkwasser is that it will raise your levels.......it will not. It will keep them stable though, and it will keep them where they are at......so with regular water changes.....kalkwasser is optimum. I have turned to kalkwasser from my calcium reactor. I am now dosing it, because it will keep up with my system with a little aid once a week from me it will keep my calcium above 400. :) major plus. Soft corals dont need the high calcium....but they will benefit from it. If you have a good kalkwasser reactor......and a top off.......why not use it? Reactors are EASY to make. I just made one out of a old calcium reactor that was going in the trash. Works wonders for me. :)

mro2you2

by mro2you2

im not a DIY guy at all. so they dont need it.

5 posts