Upgrading Filtration

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Bassdr1710057

Upgrading Filtration

by Bassdr1710057

Hi All. I currently have a 40 gallon tank which I am running a Marineland 350 HOB filter and has been working great since I got it and have no complaints. This filter is rated to fliter up to a 50 gallon tank. I have a couple of fish that should outgrow this tank in the next couple of months so I plan on upgrading to a 100 gallon tank or higher soon. Not sure yet.. But I wanted to get started on up grading my filtration system an run in my current tank until I get my bigger tank.

So I have been looking into Filter but cant decide on running two HOB's of go straight to the Canister. I was looking at a RENA or a FULVAL.. What do you guys perfer HOB's or Canisters? What are the Pros and Cons? I appreciate any input and advise.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

You don't have to do either/or, you can do both. On 100 gal, you can use a Rena XP3 or XP4 and a HOB for Bio. I like Rena's myself.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

yes I agree with Dogg, just do both.

In the tank I have, I have 550gph for a 55 gallon freshwater (Bio-Wjeel 200 & a 350) or ten times the recommended gph.

You want to do definitely at a minimum of 10 times whatever tank you have, so on a 100 gallon tank, you want gph to be at least 1,000 gph. A combo of Rena XP3 or 4 plus the Bio-Wheel 350 is only 700; whereas with a Rena XP4 (450 gph) and a Bio-Wheel 350, you get 800 gph which is getting closer.

Course ultimately, if you have 2 or 3 Rena XP4(s), you get above the 1,000 gph, and your tank would have plenty water flow in many directions in the tank.

So you have your choices, I'm happy to help if I can, do not hesitate telling us how it all went.

Happy fishing!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing...the fish you have in the tank, even in a 100 gallon tank, I hate to depart with the sad news, but it will be too small. You need a good 150-180 tank.

The clown loaches grow to about 1 foot each (you have 5 of these little guys now); bala sharks grow to about 1' 4" or well over 1 foot, you have 3 of these little guys now...getting the hint?

150 gallon minimum brings the gph (for excellent filtration) to 1,500 gph.

See the problem is, we sometimes fall in love with the little guys in the aquariums at the shops, and do not realize that if the fish grow to adult size, their massive size and a small tank will literally kill them. I am sure you never did this on purpose - our eyes often deceive us if we do not do a proper research on each fish or "goodie" - but I am here to depart this info, 100 gallon would be a poor investment, for in about 1 year or so later, you will find the tank too small...you need a minimum of 150 gallon, and a 180 gallon would work for all the fish you now have, the tank will support the fish for the rest of their lives.

Hope this helps

Upgrading Filtration

4 posts