Air Flow

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lisamarie1961

Air Flow

by lisamarie1961

I WOULD like to know if I have to much air flow going on in my 125gal. reef tank. I have my filstar xp3 Im not sure what the gph is on it but it has a strong current, I have 2 Koralia 3`s they put out 850 gph and I have two Koralia 1`s that put out 400gph. each. I see some of my fish that seem to struggle in the currents. Could this be a sign of to much air flow? I have one more question. Why are Butterfly fish hard to keep alive. Ihave tried two copperbands and did not make it, I have tried 1 Arguia Butterfly and it did not make it, Im trying one more time on the Arguia My water qualit is ok nothing is wrong. I keep algae in the take for them to eat on and I feed meaty foods. Does anyone have an Idea for them dying?
88020-4269164265_5636a63ff0.jpg

jdak702

by jdak702

Is it water flow you are talking about? I find the fish keep sheltered when i have too much water flow or don't point it the right way. If you are wanting to keep your flow high, you can aim the currents at each other so they can slow each other down. Maybe yes, your current is high.

p.s. I like your duncans too... look like mine but you have more polyps. i can already see mine getting big too

lisamarie1961

by lisamarie1961

Thanks for the info. Since Im still learing about saltwater aquariums, can you tell if it is best to remove my canister and let the skimmer do all the filtering. If I do this how do I know if I have enough trace elements and everything my corals need. I test for calcium it is like 380 as of 1-18-2010. and tonight Im letting the Kalkwasser drip. I would like my cal. up around 425 or 450. Will A skimmer pull out all the good stuff I need? I test for gh kh ph calcium and phosphates.
I bought three heads...duncans...those three are like maybe 8or9 well about teh same on all the stems really. I just fragged them into two because two of the stems were like on the same. Thanks for the compliment on my duncans. You have a really great looking tank as well. I wish I knew how to put more photos on here but I do not. My son put myphotos on for me the pics were to large so they had to be downsized. If you know how to put more photos on let me know thanks

jdak702

by jdak702

in "my profile" you choose the picture you want to upload and choose "additional tank picture (unrated)" and you can have multiple shots. I run my canister and skimmer at all times. I usually dose once a week all at once and i turn the bubbles off my skimmer for a day or so to let it soak in and turn it back on. I am not all that familiar with the equipment you are using. You do have a big tank so maybe more flow is good. I just got a 150gal myself but its gonna be a Fish Only tank. My reef is 46gal and i'm keeping it just like it is.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

http://tinypic.com/r/1zxvac1/6

That is a tank that is one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen in my life. Literally. They live in my city, and I have personally seen there setup. They ONLY filtration they have, is a skimmer. Thats it....... I use JUST a skimmer......my lfs........nothing but skimmers on all the tanks. Believe it or not.....a skimmer is all you need if you have live rock. You dont need all these miracle products that swear to do great things. Its not needed.....Keep it simple.

jdak702

by jdak702

I do agree. I do have a couple of fish and i stir the sand quite often so i keep the canister to polish the water. I don't use my canister for biological filtration. I wash it once a week and run with floss and chem-pure. I was thinking of getting a reactor instead. My skimmer isn't the strongest either. I need to look up a sea clone mod for more power.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Cut a bio ball in half and use it as a pinwheel mod, it helps out by around 30%.

jdak702

by jdak702

could you explain more or maybe send me a link... I've heard about it once but didn't understand where it is placed.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

filstar xp3 is 350 pumping rating (gph).

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

Arguia Butterfly from what I understand cannot handle even the most lowest readings of ammonia. Did you test your water for ammonia? This may be the culprit ((just a hunch)))

Auriga Butterflyfish is the proper spelling btw

Air Flow

12 posts • Page 1 of 2