What type of fish is this?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tchavera

by tchavera

I bought a fish from Petco. They were calling it a stick fish. It's approx 6 inches long. It's a catfish. It's very skinny. Anyone know the actual name?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rcus_3.jpg

Farlowella aka twig catfish aka whiptail catfish...I believe that photo is your twig fish. I must warn you, this fish prefers an abundance amount of algae, it will eat leftover foods and other types of food, but it prefers algae.

Still, pretty cool looking fish.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

wish I could have one. but my tank is too small. Good job on the new fish.

kraigt

by kraigt

HAHA I followed the link and thought thats a normal fish, not a long catfish, took me a few seconds to notice the twig lookalike

tchavera

by tchavera

Thanks man! That's the fish.. I know that he needs algae thanks :D Although my tank doesn't have lots of algae, I've been giving him some algae waffers for now.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

algae wafers will help; the fish will eat leftover foods and other types of foods (flakes, freezed dried, frozen), only it prefers algae

you could purchase a moss ball (it's basically an algae), but the fish will probably devour it and you'll need to purchase another one (just a thought)

anyway I am glad the fish was identified. you have a very unique looking fish, it will be a pleasure watching it I am sure.

Happy fishing!

tchavera

by tchavera

:o moss ball!! I didn't even think of that haha. I need to get one I suppose. I also need to post pictures! Thanks a lot though :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's a very cool fish. I was thinking of getting a couple of those once and decided against it, though I forget why. I would supply it with twigs and create a bio-tope that resembles their natural habitat. Get the pH right, etc.

8 posts