is she pregnant?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kraigt

is she pregnant?

by kraigt

I have a small question on Tetras, I had 3 so start but got another 6 to watch them school together, they get on perfect except it seems one may of got on too perfect and has put on a lot of weight, my question is, how do you know if a tetra is pregnant and not just fat? its a very large belly she has now and balloons quite a bit underneath

If she is I'll seperate her and let nature take its course, I've posted a picture on my profile which is pending approval, but if some one has the answers, I'd be greatful for their knowledge

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

This tetra could have neon tetera disease. If it appears lumpy and or has it's color fading, and or if it seems to be not schooling as the others do I'd remove it immediately.

I've been doing this to one every once in a while and the others seem to stay healthy. I have about 20 cardinals, and I see this happen to one every few weeks or so.

Most of the ones I've quaranteened have died pretty soon after, but the latest one seems to be hanging on OK for the past week, but it still appears lumpy and has faded color. I'll keep it quaranteened till it looks better or it dies.

This disease is transmitted to the other fish by them nipping at it's fins.

I'd definitally remove it immediately so you can save the others from getting this terrible disease. It's pretty unlikely that it's pregnant. That is rare in aquariums. Remove it and hope for the best. It'd be terrible to lose all your tetras over this one. You can put it in a seperate small container with an air stone (not too much current, and try keeping the water as warm as the tank you took it from.

This disease has not treatment as far as my research went.

I put a little food in the tank and get ready with a net. When you see this fish in a cachable position jab the net into the tank and with one scoop try and catch it. Otherwise it will run for cover and be hard to catch.

Good luck. PK

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I've never researched pregnant tetras before. I'd do that if it appears not to have the symtoms I indicated above.

If it is pregnant quaranteening is still a good idea probably. You don't want the fry to get eaten. PK

kraigt

by kraigt

Thanks PK

The tetra does look lumpy and it's now 2 not the one showing the bellies, thankfully I was able to place them into the 35liter tank my friend had given me, I just placed some of my normal tanks water and a bit of new to keep the water levels as close as possible and got the heater and filter on, just gonna watch the test levels and see how they get on.

They were schooling tho and there was no colour difference between them all, but not going to take any chances - better safe then sorry

have found out that they are egg layers, so they will either lay, die or hopefully get better, but I'll keep updates with what happens.

Thanks again PK

mro2you2

by mro2you2

how long has it it been "fat"?

kraigt

by kraigt

only had the fish 2 days, only really noticed how much fatter she was yesturday, been searching thru google with hardly any luck

Thanks PK for earlier suggestion of tetra disease, because they were schooling perfect, feeding well and there was no colour fading or differences, think tetra disease is a no, but keeping them seperate until I see some sort of change or find out whats up

Have found out females are naturally fatter then males, put my 2 are more beached whales then pot bellies

mro2you2

by mro2you2

cut feeding for 3 days or more, see what happens

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Not sure I would cut feeding myself mro2you2. Why did you suggest that?

Anyway..........Hope all goes well. PK

kraigt

by kraigt

Woke up this morning to 2 skinnier looking fish, you can still see big bellies, but not as big as yesturday, there still swimming well and i ed them just a little which they were happy to eat, still keep them isolated until I'm sure there happier, but if they do recover, looks like I got my first occupants of the new 35liter tank

I also phoned the pet store to see if they had any other sufferers, but the young lad on the other end, tried to convince me it was temporary stress, so all I can presummed happened was the fish were comfort eating.

very bizarre.......

mro2you2

by mro2you2

To see if it was just over feeding.

is she pregnant?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2