Why should we care about Haiti?

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The site has been slow for a while and I thought I'd post a topic non-related to aquariists.

I can't immagine the pain many of these people have been dealing with. Many are dead, but many are probably still alive under slabs of concrete, which was not reinforced with proper steel rebar and such, which collapsed on top of them. There has been near to no help so far in terms of heavy equipment required to lift the concrete and free those who have survived and are probably living in spaces, trapped, and terribly injured.

I personally wish I had the means to be there right now with gallons of peroxide, antibiotics, pain killers, and wound closure materials. I don't have any money to contribute unfortunately, but I really want to be part of the action helping these people.

Much of what is needed is materials that can manage wounds and prevent infection, which is probably going to be a huge problem. These people have nothing at this time in the way of medical aid.

I know this is not a usual topic for an aquarium site, but it's a huge disaster and I feel for these people.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

amen, so do I. It makes me feel good knowing that countries all over the world are coming to help.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I agree. Its really eye-opening when you try to imagine yourself in the average Haitian's shoes atm. I just think its ironic that China contributed 1/10th of what we did monetarily, yet we are hugely indebted to them....how are we even in a position (in this "global economy") to do that?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

and we donated 100 million but where in dept and unemployed rates are terrible.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It'll be a big boost for us in terms of the worlds aditudes about us. It'll help us get other countries to help us more with terrorism and other things, and 100 million is really not very much money compared to what we spend on our wars and millitary.

It's a great exercize for our disaster response people too, and it's also great training for disasters that could happen within the US so we don't screw up like we did with Katrina in New Orleans.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm basically unemployed myself, so I am quite aware that we have people in this country (the USA for me) who are in a tough time right now.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

the UN already talks bad about us. wish we could leave them.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

If we handed out gold candy bars to everyone in the world.....people would still hate us. Seariously......no matter what we do, we will have enemies. You just have to do what you think is the right thing. As far as being in debt that much.......my question would be, does the nations debt really matter? If we go bankrupt.......the whole world goes bankrupt.....and no country wants that........

kraigt

by kraigt

very true and sentamental statements being made

just gotta remember whats more important million quid or a million people, if you were in trouble thru a natural disaster wouldn't you want help.

it is good to see so many countries responding so fast with so many people trying to help

9 posts