What would you do....?

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kraigt

What would you do....?

by kraigt

I've just been given an Aqua One 35 liter corner tank by a friend out the blue, with heater and small pump, I have a basic idea what I'm gonna do, but I'm curious as to what you on would do if you were given a 35 litre tank, just after ideas and suggestions, will keep it freshwater and will be changing the standard pump for slightly more powerful one.

but ideas welcome please
0c980-aqua35.jpg

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm not into the orange gravel myself, but the overall arangement looks nice. Personally I love snails. I preffer Malaysian trumpit snails that live mostly in the gravel during the day and come out at night. Snails eat up things that would otherwise rot.........

But anyway....Dogo loaches are cool, as well as other types. Check the adult size of any fish you buy and check the compatability requirements with the other fish you use. Also, some fish preffer more current and some can't tollerate it.

Many people preffer to create a specific biotope, as in, an environment where all the fish have similar environmental requirements such as higher pH or lower, etc.

You might think of stocking the tank in levels, as in, the bottom dwellers, the mid level dwellers, and the top level dwelers. Think of creating hiding places as some fish need a place to feel safe. Comfortable fish seem to expose themselves more and are happier with a place they can escape to if they wish.

The fluval filter is a good choice.

Take a look at other peoples aquariums and get some ideas of what kinds of fish you like. Maybe we can help once you've made some decisions. PK

kraigt

by kraigt

Thanks PK

was thinking of placing some small live plants around a rock formation in the front, where the fish can hide, little like my formation near the red plants but with more rocks

I recently saw a Mountain shrimp and became an instant fan, already have 5 ghost shrimp that keep me amused, may just place mountains in the new tank with couple zebra snails as cleaners but will look into the Malaysian trumpit snail, the name makes them sound very unique.

Being only a 35 liter, I think I'll stick to some barbs or tetras - the smaller the fish, the bigger the school i can get without over crowding

Always been one for creating loads of space for fewer fish, find they swim around and explore more and get along better, plus it creates less mess and problems to deal with.

I agree about the Fluval, I have a Fluvel 250 on my first tank and believe you should always over filter, causes no harm to the fish, but keeps the tank better cycled and clean.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well it is a cute tank, this is for sure.

BUt is cute good? Well most would say, probably not. But this is your choice.

But all tanks much have good filtration, a heater and a temperature stick on. You'll also need a test kit for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph (the 4 essentials). You may want a background to the tank, you can buy an artificial one or just paint the background black or a color that enhances the fish.

You may want to build a cave like structure in the corner of the tank for the loaches. I have dwarf chain loaches, that love the rock formation.

Believe it or not, fish have keen eyesight within 8-12 inches in front of them. The neon orange gravel may make the fish nervous, believe it or not. usually you want a gravel that is either black, coral pebble and/or a darker color. But this is your choice.

Enjoy the hobby.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

if you want a lot of space for a few fish...get 3 dwarf puffers. 1m 2f. That might just be all the entertainment you will ever need in a FW planted. They are cute, intuitive, and always scheming. They will come to know your face and know when its feeding time...watch you vacuum the living room, and at that moment late at night when you think nobodys looking at you while you're watching TV, guess who is. Your puffer(s). Unfortunately they generally don't get along well with many others once in adulthood, which is why in a small tank 3 puffers (and maybe some inexpensive shrimp and small dither fish) is really all you need. They work ok solo too. As in 1 puffer and some other fish with short fins that can move fast in a school. 6-8 neon tetras or white clouds or something.

Here's a good informational site: http://www.dwarfpuffers.com/

I've housed them with amano shrimp before and also cherry reds. I believe they may have killed some cherry reds. I also housed them with ghost shrimp, and believe they introduced some of my other puffers to some sorts of internal parasites in years past. Ghost shrimp are entertaining just beware what company you give them. I don't believe they're the cleanest of the shrimp variety if you know what I mean. Then again perhaps thats just because I got mine from Petsmart's dirty tanks.

The only word of caution is, overfiltration is always a good thing, but I lost some dwarf puffers in my 16gal because I took the sponge off my aquaclear 70. Yes thats a HOB filter running on 16gal with a range of 30-70gal aquariums. Lots of moving water is a good thing, as long as there are dead spots and your fish can (when healthy) escape your filters intake.

kraigt

by kraigt

Looks like I got my first occupants, 2 tetras, hopefully now recovering from a bizare illness (see the "is she pregnant" post)

now just researching on Betta's, may just add the one so she won't get territorial or see the tetras as a threat, but does any one know how they get on with shrimp? there my favorite tank cleaners and wouldn't want to get them harmed

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

shrimp will get along with most any lving specie except for frogs, large fish and certain fish that may nip at it.

Tetras, in a small shoal, say about 4-8, will keep to themselves. The key to fish is, if you buy a few, say, 4 to 8 fish at once of the same species, they will keep to themselves, they will amuse only their own group. On the other hand, if a tetra is alone or in a group of only 2, and beings this fish prefers flowing streams or a fast current, the shrimp may get nipped at. But if you provide hiding places, the shrimp will probably be okay.

shrimp are good because they will clean any leftovers, they are scavengers by nature.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, if you have a large enough tank, you can create one side with fast current (for tetras, etc) and the other side with still water (for bettas, shrimp etc). The 55 gallon that I have is set up just for this:

the tetras, loaches, rasboras, danios like the faster currents whereas the frogs, platies prefer lake like waters...if you can achieve this, this is a great beginning to understanding the balance of an ecosystem with variable species.

hope this helps

kraigt

by kraigt

Thanks yasherkoach

Looks like I am going for the Betta option, been researching the puffer and altho they are so beautiful and playful, they can be a handful by the sounds

Plus i just love the elegance of the big fins on the Bettas and the way they can still get themselves everywhere in the tank, there isnt too much of a current, just mainly around the top, plus there are numourous places to hide, just going to get ome ghost shrimp settled with the tetras, then find the most beautiful Betta, if she does start to nip, then they'll be moved to the bigger tank and Betta can swim on her own until I can find her someone she likes.

What would you do....?

9 posts