First Saltwater Tank Setup Question!!!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Ryand639878

by Ryand639878

Hey everyone! So I am finally about to start my first saltwater tank and want to know if this sounds O.K. I have a 46 gallon bowfront with a marineland 350 hang on back filter for filtration. Obviously have the heater. About 60 pounds of crushed coral, and 30 pounds of live rock for now. Is that O.K. to start off? Also, what are the easiest fish to keep with the least vigerous feeding schedule? Thanks alot.

chachi

by chachi

for a fish only with live rock (fowlr) setup that will be ok but not for corals. you would need much different filters, lighting, etc. for example a protein skimmer for a filter. did your live rock come from the ocean with stuff on it or is it just rocks that have been in a tank for a while? keep in mind you only need to start with one piece of live rock and the rest dry rock and all of it after a while will all be considered live rock.

do you know how to cycle a saltwater tank? if not i can explain the basics.

one of the the easiest fish to keep for saltwater is the damsel family. they are pretty cheap and hearty. they are aggressive though and you need to plan the fish you will like to end up with and work back from there. clownfish are a part of the damsel family but a bit more expensive. chromis and pseudochromis are easy to keep and peaceful.

here is a good site to start out on. it has a lot of information and has a section called beginner fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

for what its worth, i only feed my clown fish every other day and they are fine.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I second the clown fish idea. just get a Ocellaris or a Percula If you want a peaceful tank.

jdak702

by jdak702

same tank as mine... +1 on small clown

mro2you2

by mro2you2

really your kick your self if you dont get a clown.

Ryand639878

by Ryand639878

thanks guys especially chachi. I actually don't have the live rock yet i was going to get it from my lfs. they have some awesome fiji rock. I am jsut a little hesitant with the lighting I have and wondering if I have enough water circulation? I just have the regular 36 inch fluorescent and the water circulation stemming from my hang on back and two aeration stones.

chachi

by chachi

the water circulation might be ok. if i remember those filters put out a lot of flow but its been years since i saw my friends on his tank. you could always try using a cheap power-head for additional flow.

you probably do not want to use the airstones in a s/w tank. they cause the bubbles to break on the surface area and salt spray happens. this causes salt build up around your rim and makes a mess. just make sure you have the top surface agitated to do the proper amount of gas exchange. point the output of a powerhead or your filter at the surface and that should do it.

7 posts