phosphates

25 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

lisamarie1961

phosphates

by lisamarie1961

I would like to know if my phosphates need to be removed if it is 1.0. I know anything other than 0 is not all that. but do I need to get a phosphate remover or is it ok at this level. What would be a good phosphate remover if I need to add.
Thanks for any help.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think I was reading that some coral need a little phosphate as nutrients, or maybe that was sponges, but that is for a reef person to tell you.

I used PhosGuard to reduce phosphates in my planted aquarium and it got rid of my cayano-bacteia in a few days.

I put it in a media bag in my canister filter, but I guess it can be placed anywhere water flows by.

It's PhosGuard by Seachem. hope this helps. PK

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Phosphates inhibit the calcification of hard corals.....so if your goal is to grow sps and LPS then you want as little as possible. Although this is true for sps...softies such as zoanthids and shrooms like a little nutrients to feed on throughout the day, so really imo corals should be kept in biotope specific tanks to flourish the way they would in the wild. Nutrients=good.....the bad part about nutrients is 99% of the time nutrients bring phosphates and nitrates.....which in turn dont speed up the growth of your gorgeous SPS corals but they inhibit the growth which defeats the purpose of adding extra food in the first place........the best food for your corals is to let them feed themselves with as much light as you can supply them. :)

chachi

by chachi

i use chemi-pure elite in my s/w tanks for phosphate removal. works great.

chachi

lisamarie1961

by lisamarie1961

Thanks everyone for all the help. I know that my phospahate reading are not all that bad, but I have read where most that have reef tanks will say 0 phospahtes, so I was taking that was what it should read. I was just wondering if 1 was still to much. So it seems my question has been answered. Thanks again.

jdak702

by jdak702

I use chemi-pure as well:)

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Another thing....your phosphates MAY say 0 but if you have algae then the phosphates are bound up in the algae. 1 ppm of phosphates is nothing, Just make sure your siphoning out the deitritus from the sand so your sand doesnt bind up phosphates and you will be set. :)

chachi

by chachi

are you having algae problems? i did and i narrowed down my problem to excess phosphates.

imo if you are not having problems don't fix it.

chachi

lisamarie1961

by lisamarie1961

Chachi, thanks my algae is not all that bad. I did read where if you had anything other than 0 then it was to much. I love keeping my tank clean put when i use the siphon hose to clean the tank, it will not siphon well. It maybe just a little heacy or something to siphon. I bought 3 sandsifting snails. I hope this is a good thing...not bad. I wanted a sea cucumber but I was told this is not what you want. For one they get huge and that is about all I know. If you have any ideas for me, for clean up crew then please add. I have some of the common snails and hermit crabs sally lightfoot emerald crabs. I just want to know if the sand sifting snails are a good thing or not so good thing. As long as they do not eat the good things in my sand then they will be great to have....or that is what Im thinking. I cannot get much info. on the net about them. Thanks again for your help.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Just realize that no matter how many critters you add to your tank.....they all poop.....and in turn just turn the waste......they dont erradicate it. I had a hard time realizing that you have to pull out nutrients through really good skimming or regular water changes. Those are your best options and really the only way to remove nutrients effectivly. Are you running a sump? Im onto a new skimmer.....its made by MRC the model is the MR1.....Its a beast! It pulls over 100scfh of air....which is absolutly redicoulous! The more air your skimmer can draw in and chop up....the more efficient it will be. My reef octopus is pulling 20 scfh.....which is good for the type of skimmer it is.....but its not 100scfh!!! I just cant even fathom having that much air intake! Anyways.....back to the post......the better your filtration (skimmer) the less your phosphates will be in the long run, because they will get skimmed out before they turn into phosphates

phosphates

25 posts • Page 1 of 3