How much do you worry about catching Schistosomiasis?

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

I was reading wikipedia.org and schistosomiasis caught my eye. It's a potentially lethal and thoroughly unfun disease that anyone who touches infected water can catch. The parasite that causes schistosomiasis lives inside Biomphalaria, Bulinus, and Oncomelania snails, which I looked up, and are ramshorn, pond snails, and spiral pond snails (common names). This disease is rated by the CDC as the second most important parasitic disease to global health after malaria. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schistosomiasis

My point is this:
1. I have those snails in my aquarium
2. Those snails can carry the parasite, which means any water infected snails live in can get people sick if they touch the water
3. I touch my aquarium water every week when I clean the tank.

Understandably concerned, I proceeded to check on the global infection rates. It looks like the majority of the people who are sick get sick in Africa. But this still worries me. It would only take one infected snail to make my aquarium hazardous to my health, even potentially lethal. Also, the worms are 10 mm long. Ew.
What is keeping us fishkeepers who don't live in Africa so safe? Why aren't there any cases of schistosomiasis outside of that continent? I mean, the snails in our aquariums originated in Africa, where the pathogen lives. Why aren't we getting sick? Does anyone have any ideas?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

maybe we dont hear about it because all the people who had it keeled over. XD XD XD

Dont worry bladder cancer isnt that bad... except that there have too do radation on it! XD XD

If your thinking in your head "this old man has bad jokes" well your right.

ramhorms come from Colombia. Even though that is in South America It is nothing to worry about. I never heard about it and sence it doenst have a red letter tag the goverment would put on all fish products, I wouldnt worry. And ramhorms are So easy to breed If you buy one they were probly born in a farm
Last edited by mro2you2 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

They are probably bred in captivity, and then they are selected by a group of scientists to make sure that they are not infected with the disease/parasite. I would think if there is a calling in the trade....they are being bred if its the only safe way to do it.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

So, I asked this question on yahoo answers as well, and I think the person who answered there hit the nail on the head. My snails are similar-looking to the African ones, but they actually are from other places. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 814AA3yu3V

fihsboy

by fihsboy

exactly.......they are probably bred in captivity....

mro2you2

by mro2you2

its cool you breed swordtail.....

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well aren't you glad to live in America (((smiles)))

mro2you2

by mro2you2

:)

9 posts