Spawning Xenia

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

Spawning Xenia

by breaknrun911

Curious as to how Xenia spawns. I got a frag for Xmas along with other goodies. And today I have some broken stalks floating in my tank. Is that how is spawns? Or is there another way it happens and those stalks just happen to break off?

jdak702

by jdak702

I got xenia for christmas too... that is not how they spawn.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

they dont have to spawn.....they spread like weeds. Give it 6 months...you will have literally 10-12 times as many.

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

so the broken frag is not a spawn. it is just a stalk that "accidentally" broke off. thanks guys

jdak702

by jdak702

maybe you can reattach it to a rock. Is it looking ill?

breaknrun911

by breaknrun911

heck no. completely healthy. i tried to catch it w/o hurting it but my powerheads pushed it away and i just found it in the back already attached to the gravel bottom so i think i will be just fine

chachi

by chachi

i have been keeping one for a couple months and have read up. the answer i got was they grow a foot that will eventually detach itself and be attached next to the main colony. mine is currently in that process right now.

i wouldn't worry about yours if it is in a place you like it. if not, i have also read you can tie them to a piece of rubble with fishing line loosely and they will attach in a week or so. then you can put the rubble wherever you want.

hope that helps.

chachi

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Pantiehose works well and so does wedding veil from walmart.....its cheap...........inert......and it holds the coral to the rock well enough to let it root but it will let it breath as well.

newbie916

by newbie916

As fihsboy says, they spread like weeds. I had to take a few rocks out of my 24 gallon and move it to my 95 gallon. They are all over the back wall of my tank and have spread all over the tank. It's great except that they over shadow my other corals. I had to pull a bunch out and I tried to give some away, but everyone flaked. So my Long Spined Urchin has been munchin on some of the stalks. They started growing like mad after I started feeding my tank phyto, oyster, Brightwell amino, and arctipods. Have fun

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

yeap they just snap and regrow. they also spawn through the end part of the polyp from what SWP was saying. most softies, you can take to with a razor and hack a section mount it and watch it regrow.

Spawning Xenia

10 posts