Powerhead Suction Caps?

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bennyphan

Powerhead Suction Caps?

by bennyphan

I am not sure if that is even the correct term. But I just had a sucker fish die (tank goodness it wasn't one of my cichlids) because it got sucked into my power head jets. I have seen those caps that allow water to go through, but will prevent fishes from getting sucked into them. Anyone know where I can buy them separately?

Tai

jdak702

by jdak702

do you use maxijets? i know where to find those

bennyphan

by bennyphan

aquaclear 402

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Is this the air intrainment port at the top of the outlet tube? Or is it the intake port?

The intake port must have either a sponge filter attatched to it or a screen of some sort that doesn't just cover the hole, but sticks out and reduces the chance a fish will get sucked onto it.

If it's the air intrainment port a cap should have come with it if you aren't using an air tube to entrain air into the outflow.

If the cap is missing, just stick any thing into that hole and it will solve the problem.

I preffer to use an air line to entrain air as it increaces to current, airation for the fish and other life, and is a great way to better airate than a bubble stone does.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

The air intake is on top of the outlet tube. Aquaclear did provide a funnel cap, but I am afraid my fish might get sucked in there and get trapped. By placing the air tube into the air intake port, will it decrease the power of the suction of the intake port?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm not sure we're one the same page. There should be a little cap that plugs the hole and is designed to prevent fish from getting sicked in there. If Aquaclear provided the cap why not use it? On some powerheads the intake has a (sort of) funnel shaped intake so it will fit on the riser tube from an undergravel filter, but it shouldn't be able to suck fish onto it.

Is that the "funnel"?

Anyway, use a peice of trimmed cork, a gob of wadded up paper, or the cap provided to block this little air intrainment port on top.

As for current using an air tube. Some decreace flow with use and some increace. You can use an air valve to regulate how much air gets into the powerhead. Sometimes just a tiny amount of air is nice as it blasts millions of teenie tiny bubbles into the water airating much better than the big, mostly innefective bubbles air stones make.

Air stones aerate the tanks water more by creating surface water movement that from the actual bubbles themselves.

Hope this helps. Pk

Some powerheads have a (sort

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Do you have a link to pics of this "funnel"?

bennyphan

by bennyphan

The funnel you are talking about is correct. It is the cap used for an under gravel filter. I am just afraid my smaller cichlids get trapped in there it won't be able to swim out because with that funnel, I know it create kind of a whirl pool effect inside. As always you have been a great help!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You could try duct tape or some other jurry rig to plug the leaks.

Good luck.

Powerhead Suction Caps?

9 posts