Do Mushrooms really live up to what they are?

7 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Mushrooms good or bad?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:43 am

good
100%
bad
No votes

Total votes : 2

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Sence this area of the forum was dead I decided to post this too stur up some questions.

I was looking for good starter coral and found a guy who was asking if mushrooms(like me)were good starts, whitch he is also from St.Louis(like me). A person said they werent & told them they would take over the tank, Is this true, it is at http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/jus ... coral.html

mro2you2

by mro2you2

scroll down a bit

fihsboy

by fihsboy

depends.......the fact is that mushrooms are tolerant of higher levels of nitrates and ammonia then other corals.....they also dont mind nutrients in the tank. They take swings well and will grow in low light.......so that being said they are pretty tolerant of the beginners mistakes. If your learning husbandry skills with your tank.........mushrooms xenia and GSP are the way to go. All three grow like weeds.....are interesting to watch and cheap. You cant beat that combination.

jdak702

by jdak702

I would say not to overload. Mushrooms and leathers defense is a toxin. That being said, you would need a large amount of mushrooms and little water changes for toxins to build. I have them in my reef and would recommend them. Just thought you should know.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

If I cropped them on a island of its own in front would It stop growing on the rock? So that way it cannot release toxin sence there arnt any near none coral around.

jdak702

by jdak702

Well, from what i understand is that they release toxins in the water to cover distance. It's not so much a tentacle touching. I've never have my mushroom split or grow but its a carpet mushroom. I wouldn't worry about the distance from other corals. I more meant don't load your tank full just cause they keep easy.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

oh yeah I know, At my pet store they have a REALLY pretty mushroom. The cool thing about it is its a "lone ranger" with only one head. Its been there for a year and I plan to buy it. Im hopeing it will grow more heads.

7 posts