Cichlids Are Swimming On The Bottom Alot...

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Its probably nothing, but I have notice that my cichlids are swimming and staying on the bottom of the tank. I have tested my water, and its perfect! Nitrate and Nitrite is low, PH is around 8.3. Ammonia is almost at zero.

However, I am curious if they are swimming low because I have my powerhead blowing at full power? I have 2 powerhead 402 jets... From what I have read that having current in the water is good for cichlids; it exercises the fishes.

Could I have it on too strong? Thoughts anyone? PK?

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Oh, and my water temperature is around 85 to 88 degrees.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

That's too hot......I would say you want to keep your temp anywhere around 76-80 at the most. What size is your tank? How often do you change your water? How many cichlids in the tank?

bennyphan

by bennyphan

I change my water every week, 20% each time. I have a total of 7 fishes, and my tank is 55 Gals. For some reason, I was under the impression the tank should be around the mid 80's. Is that incorrect?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Yes it is too hot. Optimum is 78 Degrees for the fish listed in your profile.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

thanks!!!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

The water parameters sound fine (except the temp) but, I still doubt that would keep the fish at the bottom. Most cichlids stay in the middle/bottom throughout the day. Couldn't say forsure what the problem is. Do they seem to be moving around well? I really don't know if anything is actually wrong with them. I would advise to get more cichlids. You can stock anywhere from 12-15 cichlids (mbuna) in a 55. For the most part, it's pretty normal to have the fish stay at the bottom as long as they seem like they're moving around fine.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Yeah, they are moving around on the bottom just fine, I just wanted to double check with yah guys to see if I was missing something that could lead into something bigger.

Thanks again!!!

Dharmie

by Dharmie

I dont know if this is related. but my father used to breed frontosas, and there was a feeder goldfish he ended up keeping, and while he was in the tank, three of the fry would NOT swim. They just walked arround on the ground lol once he got rid of that gold fish however (after a few months) they all started swimming! they also wouldnt grow fast while the gold fish was there and now they are all decent size.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

It makes sense that they would be more inclined to be at the bottom of the tank then the top even though the differences in temperature (due to heat rising) would be minimal. When I used to go fishing my father told me that bass and other fish used to cool lake temperatures would swim to the bottom to escape the warm water at the surface in the heat of late summer, so it was a good bet to let more line out...or just fish at dusk.

Though I doubt that would be the soul reason. I think esperzar may be right.

You have a nice looking tank.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2