Filtration Systems for saltwater

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Collegeguy727

by Collegeguy727

I am getting a 265 gallon (tank only) One day next week. I would really love to set up a saltwater tank. I am wondering what kind of filtration is best. Also, is homemade filtration better than store bought? Does anyone have any advice? ;-D

jdak702

by jdak702

You've got a lot to learn and a lot of money to spend. Thats it. Maybe a little jealous here.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Personally on a tank that large......I would run a 40 gallon breeder as a sump....if not a 75 gallon tank. I would setup one area for a filter sock and your protein skimmer....then go to your return area with an auto top off. it will make your life easier in the long run. I would go with a Super reef octopus skimmer....link at the bottom. And if your keeping it fish only........two maxijet 1200's with sureflow mods to keep the fish poo from settling on the bottom.

http://www.aquacave.com/reef-octopus-su ... -2666.html

Collegeguy727

by Collegeguy727

I am wanting it to be a reef tank.....Would a 55gallon sump work? (What is a good website to go to, so I can see diagrams on setting that up?) Also, I plan on having about 50 blue damsels placed in the tank after it is up and running for a few days. From what I understand, they are very hardy and very good starter tanks. I am hoping that will be enough to cycle the tank....Back to the sump, I just need a diagram as to what to do and how to set it up (the 55gallon sump will be placed UNDER the tank on the stand) Will that be sufficient?

Collegeguy727

by Collegeguy727

fihsboy----That protein skimmer----Its rated for a 300gallon tank, i've noticed with my freshwater tanks that the larger the filter.....the easier it is to keep clean. does that also go for protein skimmers? Example....would I be better off getting a protein skimmer that is rated for a 500 gallon tank??

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

BLUE DAMSELS = TROUBLE especially that many going into a tank first.
TERRITORY PROBLEMS WILL QUICKLY ARISE AND ADDING NEW FISH WILL BE IMPOSSIBLE.

Just piss in the tank, it has the same effect causing ammonia spikes and you wont have to catch 50 arse hole damsels in 1mths time.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Of course.........but then your talking at least a grand....I didnt know how tight money was. Personally I like to over run my skimmers.....If money isnt an option and you want the best......Get this.......its the ferrari of skimmers. No skimmer can touch the results you would get with it.

http://www.aquariumspecialty.com/catalo ... ts_id=2340

gumbii

by gumbii

i would get a 100g sump of some sort... even two sumps... a rubbermaid sump would work great...

get a vertex of bubble maggus protein skimmer... best for your moneys...

mro2you2

by mro2you2

store bought is best for me...

gumbii

by gumbii

store bought don't work for me because i use HUGE protein skimmers... even for my 90g SPS tank...

idon't understand why people are so uppetty when it comes to sumps and DIY stuff... i have some amazing growth on some supposedly hard to keep corals and i don't have a fancy sump with chambers or mechanical filtration...

you guys should check out like amazing reefs in OC or age of aquarium in long beach... simple is cleaner and better...

10 posts