breeding ghost shrimp?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

breeding ghost shrimp?

by Peterkarig3210

One of my favorite creatures in my planted tank are the ghost shrimp. They actually get pretty big, about 2 inches long not including the antennas which can get 2-3 inches long.

They are harmless to almost any fish and go around constantly picking at plants, detrius, etc.

I often see them with a bunch of eggs packed up under their tails and I never see babys, ever, even though the plants are so thick in areas.

I would immagine that at least a few of these hundreds of eggs would produce a few babies, but never. Anyone here ever had any luck breeding these things?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yeah, Ive bred them for food. Is hard as crap getting them to breed & keeping the young with enough food that is not too big.... their young is sucked up by the filters & the young are soon eaten by fish & parents or other gost shrimp.....for Gods sake and your money pleace dont waste your time.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Not wasting any time bud. There's just such a thick and dense jungle in this tank that I thought at least a few would be able to be seen before they got eaten.

There's a lot of places they could hide out where nothing could get to them so I was wondering if I only have females. Aquarium stores for example only seem to sell male mosquito fish.

I guess they don't want you to be breeding them so you have to buy more if you want more.

Have you actually seen baby ghost shrimp?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

never and I tried for a year.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

but I always sow eggs under the tail or some red thing....

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'm not sure about ghost shrimp, but i know that Amano shrimp require brackish water for the eggs to hatch.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yeah never tried it because I didnt want too mess with salt but today I just set up a reef!!

breeding ghost shrimp?

7 posts