Q about a center piece in a members tank

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm not convinced that the stump is fake. A lot of aquarium stores including Petco carry real, African I think, stumps that are real wood. The wood is actually a stump that has been gathered from bogs and similar places.

I have quite a few beautiful stumps. One I had a a center peice in the middle of a feild of val (a reed like plant), and it looked like a tree stump sticking out of a feild of grass. I'd still have it if it weren't for the antibiotics I had to put in the tank which killed the val.

Try to find the real thing. Many people have been able to get real wood stumps that are of a very heavy and hard kind of wood, so it's heavy enough to stay on the bottom.

You can grow all kinds of anubias, java fern, java moss, and other plants on the wood too, which makes it look even better.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Take a look at my pics. The wood was all bought from various aquarium stores. It will act like a tea bag for a few months with its tannins leaching into the water, but it's harmless for fish.

In my experience real wood doesn't change the pH that much. I never had an issue with it, but someother people on this site seem to think it made their pH go down too much. Personally, I don't think it was the wood in these instances, but something else decaying like fish poop, uneaten food, decying live plant leaves, or something.

Get the real thing!

Promthanom

by Promthanom

UPDATE!

Sorry for not getting back sooner but the holidays have been hectic :)

I found the stump in the pic at the local Petsmart and its HUGE! I tried fitting it into a 10 gal tank they had at the store that had the same measurements as mine and there is no way it could fit. The tank in the pic is suppose to be a 10 gal tank as well. Either the measurements are way different than my standard 20x10x12H tank or they cut the stump to fit their tank. Btw the stump is fake, made of poly-resin.

They did have a smaller version but it was shaped differently and made me think of some sort of alien/tentacle monster so I passed on that idea. I DID get a couple of nice pieces of african mopani driftwood (real wood) and may use them. I say MAY USE because I never seem to leave empty handed whenever I go to Petsmart, Petco or any other pet store :) so I figure I fiddle with real wood a bit to see if it suits me.

Thanks to everyone for their wonderful advice! I greatly appreciate it!

@Peterkarig:
Love your pics! I'm envious! As for using real wood... I'm still wary but as I mentioned before I did get some pieces to toy around with. I've read on other forums about boiling the wood to get most if not all the tannins out quickly instead of just letting it soak. I'll being do that or a combination of both if I plan on using real wood. Thanks again for your advice :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... oduct+Type

Petsmart:

Top Fin® Craggy Driftwood Aquarium Ornament Item: 3202488

This product is as close as you will ever come to that picture you provided above in this forum question. Actually, the Petsmart ornament is nicer, and it's fake too

did he say fake? oh he did...sorry, I only use natural wood, but for you, fake it is

anyway, check out Petsmart item, I am sure you will be pleased

Happy fishing

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It says ages and worn drift wood. I think it's real.

Besides, I've seen really nice real wood peices at my local Petco.

They even sell real wood with anubias already growing on it.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

non-toxic and is made from a sturdy, long lasting polyresin is the description at Petsmart

mro2you2

by mro2you2

come on men is chirstmas.....

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

we know it's Christmas...we were unaware that it was chirstmas.....

tchavera

by tchavera

Q about a center piece in a members tank

19 posts • Page 2 of 2