Do you freshwater dip your corals?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jdak702

by jdak702

I have never really done this except for this last coral I have purchased. It was a leather cabbage and i dipped it at tank temp for two minutes. It has been in the tank kind of withered for a day now. Is dipping good or does it do more damage than needed? The reason I dipped in the first place, cause I believe my last frag might have brought zoanthid spiders. Two weeks in a row I have found two spiders bugging zoanthids (total four spiders) and have pulled out. Week three, their was really no sign of problem on zoanthids but this thing in picture walks past. This spider is quite a bit bigger and makes it five. Are these spiders and has anybody had success on getting rid of them?

jdak702

by jdak702

Hmmm here is pic
8fe9d-DSC01575.JPG

jdak702

by jdak702

Must click reply to see pic!!
31145-DSC01575.jpg

fihsboy

by fihsboy

That my friend is an aeolid Nudibranch. Can be killed but more then likely it has already laid eggs. The best thing to do is to go over your rocks very very very carefully and check for eggs. These guys only eat Zoonathids......so watch your zoas....Check your zoas.....and check for eggs. I would use the coral dip by two little fishies called ReVive. It killed them for me. But I plucked all of the eggs off after the dip. This stuff smells like clorox.....so a heads up. But it works GREAT, I highly recommend it.

gumbii

by gumbii

you can use marine melafix to get rid of your nudi's...

also... i think flat worm remover will work too, but you will need a high dose...

i never EVER freshwater dipped a coral... does alot more damage than you think... especially on my high end corals... shit... there's no way i'm going to stress out 250 dollar coral...

what i do is just dip corals in coral revive and some lugol's iodine... that kills all the pest...

jdak702

by jdak702

ya... i freshwater dipped a leather after reading it was recommended for all corals after reading about nudibranches. I check my zoos often and the only thing that resembled eggs was this white stuff on the side of a zoo. I couldn't even scrape it off with a blade. I have also read that they lay eggs inside the zoo. Where have you heard they lay eggs?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

mine were in a cluster on the zoas roots. Just like this link.

http://www.seaslugforum.net/images/m16157a.jpg

Your talking hundreds of babys there....If you havent found them......they probably arent there, just keep an eye out. Like I said......they only eat zooanthids.......and they will only lay eggs on them as well. So just check your polyps very very closely.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

wow, how would you get them off? If you scrapped them off I bet they would go "flying" into the water.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

You do it in a seperate conatiner. Dip the coral and while its in the dip solution with the ReVive...then you scrape them off. Then you rinse the coral and rock in a seperate container with clean ASW and then back in the tank.

jdak702

by jdak702

Have not seen anything like that. Like I said, I have only found about five of these things and that is over weeks. Haven't seen any this week so I hope I am in the clear.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2