:[ HELP!!!

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I have some algea on my wall and It looks UGLY. I want it off bad. See, I cant reach it with my brush and I sence I have a dwarf puffer tank I cant add any algea eaters. Before you say otos Ive tried them but they end up dead with several body parts missing. And Im worried that If I use a chemical it would mix with my plantgrow and do some thing harmfull. I have tried every thing.
I am also tired of cleaning the algea off my canopy. I do it once a week and If I dont do it I gives my tank a yellow tint.
Any help or advice PLZ.

P.S have any of you noticed that natielie stop commenting.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Natalie is currently without a computer, but i'm glad you missed me ;)

A razor blade works great for removing algae off of glass. I think you're smart to avoid chemicals. I don't trust them either.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd say to remove as much crud as possible from the gravel with a gravel siphon, do more frequent water changes, and get a blade type scraper.

I guess a razor blade might work, but there are handles that have inserts for scraping different kinds of tanks. Plastic scrapers for plastic tanks, copper, or brass for glass tanks. The handles come in different lengths so you don't have to get your hands wet.

I use the metal inserts, but I don't usually need to scrape the glass unless I'm being lazy and not doing water changes enough.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Buy a magnafloat! best ten bucks i ever spent

stormer0719

by stormer0719

magnafloats are great, but get a big one....... other brands of magnetic scrapers work but they don't float....dont hold one end up to the end that is floating at the top of your tank, cuz u get wet. :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I prefer scrapers with long handles. It's easy to catch a peice of sand or grit with a scrubber type.

With the handle type scraper with a blade you can jam it down into the gravel getting the glass at the very bottom without catching anything.

Just my preferance.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Srry, Im working on a website and Im a little busy.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

If you have plants, and a bulb equipped to grow them at 3wpg+ try using CO2. If you have low light plants and your bulb is over 6 mos old try replacing it - bulbs lose a great deal of light emission after 6 months. It may appear to work fine but the plants might be missing part of the spectrum you can't see with your eyes. Look into the kelvin as well. Optimal for plants is 6700k-10000k 50/50.

If you do not have live plants look into getting a lower wattage bulb or limiting the amount of time its on each day to either 10 or 8 hours.

Or just change the heck out of your water to keep nitrates at <5ppm.

Mag-a-floats are nice but I've merely worn myself out trying to remove Green Spot Algae with them..I use a razor now. If I kept my nitrates lower I probably wouldn't have to. -.-

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yes, I do have live plants.....Ive had it for 3 months & the box doent give me the wpg but it said perfect to grow plants in 30 gallons & I have a 20. So I think I have a pretty good light sourse I think.

esparzar1

by esparzar1

An old credit card works wonders as well!

19 posts • Page 1 of 2