filteration

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

filteration

by 1234

hi!!im new here and dont know if im doing this right but getting new 75 gallon tank in a couple days,what size filter shpuld i get and what bran???????

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like canister filters because you can put a variety of fiter materials, biological filter material, sponges, charcoal, etc in the different trays, and the whole thing goes under the tank out of sight.

You can also put the tank back closer to a wall with a canister in a way that a hang-on-back doesn't allow.

I'd buy a Rena Filstar xp3, or whatever is the biggest from that brand. I think mine is the xp3. There's 3 trays inside. This is a cheaper filter than some, but is silent and works fine IMO. I think it's supposed to filter a 175 gallon tank, but I'd still get it for your 75 as it's allways best to over filter.

With a bigger filter you don't have to clean it as often, and there's less issues with over feeding, ie excess biological waste.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Lets ask this first.........what kind of tank do you want to run? Freshwater....Saltwater.......planted...........reef........fish only......then we can be of more assistance.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Good call Fishboy.

filteration

4 posts