trucking 100gal tank downstairs.

6 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

stormer0719

by stormer0719

Hello i have a hand truck and want to get my 100 gallon tank downstairs. My concern is the top of the stairs is a sharp turn so i know i have to have the tank on end. With the tank standing on end there is no problem getting the thing downstairs.

My question is do 6' fish tanks rack easily, and is it bad for them to be on their sides, or am i making to big of deal out of this. I just dont want to weaken the structural integrity of my tank and have it break or something.

Any input would be helpful.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Dont put any uneeded stress on it. If you have to put it on its side for a little while, no biggie. But I wouldnt store it like that. It should hold up fine. I torked the crap out of a 70 gallon and it is still standing strong at a lfs.

stormer0719

by stormer0719

Thanks, I'll just be taking it downstairs. And that makes me feel a bit better about doing it! I appreciate the info as i'm buying the tank today :)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, use 2 strong people and be careful. Don't use a 2 wheeled dolly used for moving boxes. I've broken tanks with them.

I'll have to do the same with my 100 gallon too at some point. PK

rcgman35055364

by rcgman35055364

My uncle and I carried my 150 gallon tank down a flight of 14 stairs with two sharp turns. Just take it slow and rest if you have to. I think my tank weighed around 300 lbs. dont put it on a metal cart or it might break. put a blanket over it for sure. and i know it sounds obvious but make sure you have the stand in the right spot and level BEFORE you bring the tank in!

stormer0719

by stormer0719

Thanks for the feedback everyone. the tank turned out to be a 50 gallon so i didn't buy it.

The question arose because i once had a 150 gallon my self that I ended up selling because it indeed was around 300 pounds. had lack of confidence issues about getting it down the stairs...........that and 6 foot tank was about 2 feet to long to fit anywhere in my house
Upseting because it would have been nice, and i know I could have done it, only sharp turn is at the top of my stairs. sharp enough it woulda had to go on its side then leaned down the stairs and its home free :(

anyways thanks again.

6 posts