millipedes in wood

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

triple2ate

millipedes in wood

by triple2ate

i've recently added some driftwood to my tank that i had sitting in the backyard, since putting it in the tank i,ve noticed a lot of baby millipedes that must have been living in it coming out also the wood has got now got some grey looking fur on it, does any body have any feedback on this issue.thanks

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

The grey furr could be fibres from the wood if it's been sitting in running water for a long time.

I don't think the millipedes will hurt anything. You may want to remove as much of the millipedes and or other possibly rotting material from the wood, but as long as you like the furry look I don't see a problem. Sand it off if you don't like it.

Many people will say to boil the wood to get rid of any parasites etc from where the wood came from, but since you allready put it in I'd just leave it.

The furr might make a great attatchment for Java moss or fern, or even Anubias when tied to the wood. These plants require very little light and can be bought most places aquarium plants are sold.

triple2ate

by triple2ate

thanks , i'll take your advice and monitor the situation . no change since yesterday

millipedes in wood

3 posts