just why do african cichlids scratch against objects?

4 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

markthecat

by markthecat

everything is right in my tank ph is high 8.2 alklanity is high amonia is 0 nirates r very low nitrites r 0 fish look good healthy active.but they scratch against objects.no sign of ick at all. never once have i ever lost 1 fish. i tried all kinds of medecations. nothing seem to completely work. but i did do something in a 29 gallon tank i had it seem to work. i took most of the gravel and decorations.out boiled them in water put them back in the tank. after 1 day i did not see no more scratching. but i have a 75 gallon now and dont want to do all that work.i have never tried mardel copper safe i heard it was the best stays in the tank over a month. does anyone have any suggestions
tempt is 80 degrees.

dizzcat

by dizzcat

They do it to mark territory. Sometimes one of mine will start to "flash" and then all the rest start up LOL.

My suggestion is to stop adding chemicals. You are probably causing them stress and they may be flashing due to that. It is just something cichlids do, especially Africans. Nothing is wrong. Sometimes they will more often after a large water change, due to a small change in water chem, but its harmless. A dominant male will rub on things to mark his territory.

markthecat

by markthecat

thanks apreciate it u know when i do a water change or clean the filter they seem to scratch more but calm down after a while and then just scratch less i guess its just part of their nature. but like i said i have never lost one due to scratching. thanks for the advice

Sticks

by Sticks

Ur fish r fine. Thats what my cichlids where doing, i thought something was wrong to but thats what tha males do when they want to mate or attract a female. And when he get next to tha female that he want to mate with then he will start shaking. Tha way the fish act also have to do with how ur tank is set up. My first setup i had with my cichlids was fake plants. Now i put rocks in and my male red zebra is allways after my female zebra trying to mate with here. So far i got 2 baby zebrs from her
b3b2b-065.JPG
ab544-P1010451.JPG

4 posts