canister of power filter...

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vanscheck

by vanscheck

its really hard to choose between these two since they both do great. biggest power filter ive seen is the hagen aquaclear 110 550g/H...and its huge to be hanging of the back of your aquarium but on the other hand you have canister filters like EHEIM, FLUVAL, etc... which are also huge but easier to hide under the stand... they both do 3 stages of filtration...which will you pick?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I like canister filters. They allow you to put the tank up against the wall, they're out of the way, and you can use them for a great co2 diffuser by running the co2 through the intake.

Sticks

by Sticks

I say canister. I have a RENA XP4 and i love it and i dont have to worry about over stocking my tank because it can handel it

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I have 2 Rena Filstar XP4'S.

I am doing something with one of my HOB filters that sits near a window. The filter pads have been partially replaced with the bio-sponge stuff that's also used in filters and the top is off.

I planted 3 small elephant ear plants into the filter and they're growing.

The weather is getting cold and the plants were dieing back for the winter, so I figured I'd bring them in and see what happens.

I'll probably hve to pull the roots up so they don't clog the filter and grow them somehow in the aquarium itself. These plants leaves can get HUGE. They can get 4 feet long and 3 feet wide.

I like living in a room full of aquariums and plants.

Go for the canister filters. The Rena was the biggest one I found for the money, and with filters, the more filter material you can stuff into it the better.

stormer0719

by stormer0719

i got a magnum 350 and an eheim ecco canister filters which i think work excelent. Eheim being my favorite of those two. I also use a penguine bio wheel, hang on the back, filter in my other 55. as far as i can tell both work, the hang on the back is less work. The canisters let you overstock and keep your water better looking.

vanscheck

by vanscheck

looks like the canister filter is the best choice so far... no one seems to be backing up the HOB filters...:( i only have HOB, its the only ones i can afford and best suited for my 2 small 10g tanks... i recently purchased a dophin A2000, seems to be working well, it was very cheap compared to the aquaclear but my 2nd 10g will be a very low maintenence tank, low light, low everything. but i dont know what fish to stock it with, suggestions

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

HOB's are fine. It's more about looks than function with a canister filter. The main variable is how much surface area water has to flow through and around, the surfaces in the filter floss, pads, bio-sponge etc. The more places for bacteria to colonise on the greater the load of waste (amount of fish waste) the bacteria can convert to nitrates.

7 posts