Should I buy or not?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

Fixer10499

Should I buy or not?

by Fixer10499

God bless craigs list. 120 gallon with stand, heater LR/LS, sump, refugim, in sump skimmer and coral, no light bar for 600.00 dollars

I would like to make this a FOWLR tank but I currently have a 30 gallon and I'm wondering how much more work this would be?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

It depends. How did he have it setup? Did the tank ever have copper? Theres a lot to look for. Make sure when you go look at it that ALL the seems look good. I bought my 45 with tank stand canopy, wet dry, pumps, and skimmer for 50 bucks.....Offer him 500. I bet you he will budge. Be like man I really really want it......but I can only spare 500 right now.....Ill pick it up asap if I can get it for 500. :) im a cheap ass. What skimmer comes with it? I would say it would depend on the equipment........if its got some off the wall skimmer....its not worth it. If its got a decent ASM/Reef Octopus/Aqua-C/ skimmer.......then you would be in a good deal. And how much live rock? LS you should probably just pitch....I would never use anyone elses sand......sounds weird I know.......but to me its where most problems are hidden.....phosphates nitrates etc etc.....hair algae....It all starts with an inadequate sand bed and poor water. I would pitch the sand first thing and then build a rock lift for the rocks.....then pour in all new sand. :) But thats just me.....If you can do 500 and its in gooooooood shape, then go for it. :)

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

LIKE I SAID IN THE OTHER POST ABOUT PRICE
$0 to Infinite.
How far do you want to go
How longs a piece of string.

Fixer10499

by Fixer10499

Found out he has a a Reeflife skimmer and sump and refugium. Tons of corals and tons of LR/LS. 3 powerheads. Premo stuff but all pretty old. This tank is just to big and cost to much to keep up. 60 bucks a month just for light(electricity) and salt (25 gallon changes every week). Can't afford those numbers even if the tank is a great deal.

newbie916

by newbie916

I started off with a similar setup I bought on e-bay for $600. Came with fish, LR, LS, coral, T-5's, skimmer, sump, etc. Kept it for 6 months and sold just the tank for $200 and upgraded. It started the addiction, but buy a used system with caution. I found that it would be more expensive and a pain to fix and upgrade than to just buy a new system. However, can't beat the price to get your feet wet and to see if you really enjoy the hobby. Have fun with you new system.

Should I buy or not?

5 posts