Advice for a beginner....

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

falconite

by falconite

Hello all....i hav just started out....got my aquarium a couple of days back....n i have some goldfish-2 golden,2 orange n a red cap,6 molly(3 male n 3 female),a couple of black widown a couple of sharks(probably tiger sharks,m not sure)....
no plants in my aquarium as of now...the molly seem 2 b quite aggresive....
I would like 2 know if its safe to keep them together....n what else can i add...
Can i add some angelfish????Actually i know barely anythn about fish n stuff....

laughatyourlaugh

by laughatyourlaugh

what size of tank is it. and are yopu thinking baout getting live plants. nothing under 30 gallons for angelfish.

falconite

by falconite

Its around 18 gallons.....live plants would definitely look nice...please tell me what do i require for keeping some plants...n which plants may i keep....

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Plants need a better light than most basic aquariums come with, but even 30-60 watts may be enough to grow some plants.

I'd start with only low-light plants such as Anubias (Bartari or Nana).

These require almost no care and you don't have to spend so much on lights higher light plants require, and the stronger lights produce more algae problems too.

falconite

by falconite

What else do i need apart frm the light to grow plants???i mean what sort of equipments r reqd???

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Most plants don't like really warm water over 78-80 F, but that's not usually a problem. The Anubias and even Amazon sword, a big plant, will grow in jusy about any substraight.

As long as you don't have an undergravel filter, which are going out of style these days, you can buy really nice Eco-Complete, flourite (comes in puke brick color or black), or some other substraight meant for growing plants.

Most low light plants can be grown in just about any kind of gravel used for fish tanks.

Don't bother with any co2, which requires lots of equipment and hassel and is for "high light" planted tanks usually, and don't bother with fertiliser. The fish will produce plenty in the form of nitrates.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Is it just me but isnt that alot for a 18 gallon.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I grew a jungle in a 10 gallon with regular gravel and flourescents from the hardware store.

I like a lot of space in the front, but I like the back to have enough plants so you don't see much of the back of the tank.

falconite

by falconite

Thnx for the advie....one doubt though.....did u mean a bed filter whn u said undergravel filter???coz i do hav one....is it goin 2 cause any prblm if i put the substrate u mentioned ovr the gravel wth the bed fltr still in place beneath the gravel????

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

A filter that is like a grate beneath the gravel is an UGF. Don't know if that's a bed filter, but any small particle substraight will work it's way through the large ones and clog the filter. If you allready have gravel, I'd just plant in that.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2