water cirulation and filtration

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

vanscheck

by vanscheck

i was wondering if my aquaclear 30 is enough for my 10g tank...it says 150gph but is it really that strong...it hardly creates a current with the jungle i have...
so my question is should i buy the smallest eheim classic canister filter.....the eheim costs almost 60€, is it worth it? will my water be TOO CLEAN?
having 2 filters (hang-on and canister) do i still need my air pumps?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

There are variables. The more fish poop and food the bigger the filter, the less fish and more live plants you can do with less.

I never got used to knowing what 150 galon /min actually looks like. You could always use a powerhead if the current is too sluggish, with a sponge filter over the intake. Just an idea...................

You can't really over filter.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It's really surface water agitation/movement, and some current that puts O2 into the water, not air bubbles so much.

The air bubbles from a powerhead with venturi air entrainment are much smaller, and get blasted into the water, so that kind of air bubbles does more.

vanscheck

by vanscheck

so better to buy those internal mini sponge filters that blow bubbls in the tank...? i have quite a jungle you know im just curious why the waste on the sand doesnt get sucked up like its suppose to.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It doesn't really matter what you use regarding inside the tank pump, outside (HOB) hang on back, or canister filter. The surface area water is made to flow over = amount of biological waste that can be processed.

What do you mean by "jungle"?

I like as much current as possible in my planted tanks, as much as the fish can handle.

vanscheck

by vanscheck

jungle meaning its pretty full of plants...anacharis and hornwort and ''eel grass''( sagitaria subtulata)dont know the name, and water wisteria, some red stem plant and dwarf hairgrass...the hornwrt and anacharis are growing like crazy so its blocking the ''current'' and the HOB cant suck everything...so if i buy a small internal and put it on to a corner to blow the debri closer to the intake of HOB..it would filter the debri...right?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds good to me. That's what I do.

Gumbii and some others have a jet system imbedded in the gravel. These are unnoticable but are at gravel level and keep detrius from staying on the bottom so filters can pick it up.

That would require a complete system overhaul though, so I don't suggest you go and do all that.

Filmoreslim

by Filmoreslim

the more the better i would use a canister and a bio wheel then the water will move good the onlt time more is bad is when your fish cant rest so move them around untill you have a lttle dead spot

8 posts