No water changes YET

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

No water changes YET

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Is this possible? I haven't done a water change yet since Feb 1st and had 4 dams in the tank for the 1st few weeks with approx 10lbs of lace and lava rock. No dams in the tank now pending LR. I did a test today 3/6 and here were the readings:
PH=8
Amm= b/w 0 and .25
nitrite=0
nitrate=5ppm (this is understandable considering the detritus has been laying on the bottom from the dams)
salinity=1.021

I am adding LR when it arrives and am wondering if i can add it in and let the rock start its thing still havent had done a water change. I will clean the media in my 2 canisters though as I know the sponges are probaby packed with debris.

I think this made sense....

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i would do a water change.. take some of the biological load off the rock you have

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

you mean the work the rock thats already in there is doing?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

How many lbs of live rocks do you want to add?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

i have to go to local hardware or plastic supply place to to buy 2 sheets of egg crate and some zip ties. I was originally going to buy about 40-50lbs of LR but if you take a look at the site i posted in the "aquascape" post using the supplies above I dont think i am going to need that much. I'm ordering tonight..

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I wouldn't worry to put those rocks straight to your tank. I think it'll be fine. Your ammonia will probably raise a bit, so do not introduce any fishes or inverts to the tank til the amm. drop back. If you have crabs in your tank right now they'll survive, snails are a bit more sensitive critters. Make sure to scrub the rocks before introduce them to your tank. Use saltwater from your tank. Enjoy aquascaping! Be lucky!

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

great ..i spent the money on egg crate and zip ties and now someone talks me outta it.,...theres a kid a new LFS whose pretty knowledgable. He said he wouldnt take the chance with the plastic egg crate becuase over time you never know what could happen. Also, He advised me to take the lace and lava rock i put in my tank from my fresh water system out. he said shake the rock off in the tank to retain the good bacteria that formed.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

FR - -take this little piece of advice from someone whose been there - - there are ten different ways to do any one thing in an aquarium - -all of these guys are telling you what worked or works for them - -listen to us all BUT do what works for you....if you don't you'll go crazy man, lol {i been there and got 3 tee shirts} the thing is - -most all of the ten different ways will work........you not stupid, bad advice will usually be shot down quickly in here . . . . as far as LFS's go...if you have a good one, concider yourself lucky - -between 3 different ones I destroyed my tank the first go round and then I found this site and now my tank is incredable {to me, lol} good luck and keep yer head straight bud

NOTE: what could posably happen to plastic? it doesn't rot, it may get some algae on it, but other than that I see no reason not to go the way your going - - hhhmmmmmmmm wait a minute.....yup every piece of equipment in my tank is plastic - - -see my point? later bud....Boss

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

trying to rule every possibilty out before you add can ectually have you comitted lol I will stick to the basics and what ever happens happens...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol safe is safe

No water changes YET

10 posts