Why do you keep fish?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

Why do you keep fish?

by mro2you2

I keep fish for the color and the ease that there easy to keep, comparied to dog there easy as pie. Also they dont pee on the carpit they dont make you stand in the freezing cold just to see them make a tinkle or your best friend is alergic to fur so you cant have him over. ONe more thing we cant sit here and have a good talk about dogs or cats here you can have so many choices and strieages
with pets it walk, feed, love. Here it is what kind of fish, fresh or salt, etc. I think its amazing that we only have discovered 97% of are waters and how many new fish we can look forward to to keep in are aquriums. Ive gone deep here at 9:54 am so peace.

MRO@YOU@

mro2you2

by mro2you2

HERE IS MY NEW BABYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
f2fe2-Yo Yo loach.jpg
9a1f5-Tiger Barbs.jpg

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Didn't want this thread to dissapear.

I keep fish because I grew up with a geologist professor and a marine biologist professor, and my stepmother, the marine biologist, did some research on crayfish.

She had 9 tanks of crayfish, and since we lived next to a stream, I could get as much fish, crayfish, plants, etc I wanted for my tanks. I let them go when I needed to, which isn't something aquariests should do in general, but I don't think I did any eco-dammage.

I guess I like to watch them swim around in beautiful surroundings. I live alone with my cats, so the fish keep me company.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I keep fish because they are meditative. Meditating is proven to improve your mental and physical health but I've never been able to meditate, my mind races too much. However, when I'm with my fish, whether I'm changing water, feeding, or just watching them, my mind slows and then completely clears and calms for long periods of time. That's meditating. After I'm done with my fish I feel very much like people describe feeling after meditating. Besides, it's just cool to have a pet crayfish...

Z

mro2you2

by mro2you2

lol, I think its cool you can have a pet shark!!

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Cool if the shark is a tiny variety and you have a 1000 gallon tank!

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

weve discovered 97% of our waters? Im pretty sure weve only explored like 3% of it. haha
anyways im getting by basics here at a ju co in west texas then im transferring to texas a&m university at galveston to get a Biology degree to be a Marine Biologist......... so peter any information would be helpfull haha i know NOBODY that aspires the same as i do, plus im a first gen college student in my family haha

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Texas A & M? My stepmother taught some marine biology classes there when I was a kid, and she brought me there with her.

They used to have a big outside tank there with an allagator gar in it.

That's how I got interested in gars in the first place.

I had fun there. We went into the marshy tidal areas with long nets and inventoried all the fish and crabs we caught.

My biggest memory was the time we were out doing this and I was bare foot. I went and put my high top Vans skatboard shoes on, laced them up tight, and felt something wriggling around by my toes...........Then a HUGE cockroach crawled up over my foot and out. Scaird the crap out of me! I was just a kid then.

I'm sure Texas A&M is a lot bigger then it used to be. Galviston was nice when I was there. You'll enjoy it.

PK

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

Blue,

I grew up in San Antonio and my freshman year in High School i did a 1-week biology trip to A&M Galveston, very cool trip that i will always remember. It's what hooked me on the marine world..

twoghias

by twoghias

I have had fish as pets since I was 12 years old. Never became a biologist, but was always fascinated with fish behavior. I went to my first year in college in the dorms, and could not sleep because I was without the gurggle and hum of my aquairum for the first time. After more than 40 years of fish keeping I still have a tank in my bedroom and the fish still fascinate me. My 125 is currently growing out some red bellied pacus that may outlive me if they can stay off the dinner table that long.
4aca7-redpacu.jpg

Why do you keep fish?

10 posts