building a inwall reef tank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

bennyj

by bennyj

Hi, I have two quick questions Please,

What type (how big and many) of fan should I use to extract the heat from above (Lights) and below (Chiller) the tank in the wall?

How long would a reef tank last if I had a power cut at home?

And just after any hints, tips or photos about setting a reef tank up in the wall, if so Thank you very much,

hopeful to have some photos soon.

Thank again

OldSchool3259

Re: building a inwall reef tank

by OldSchool3259

Been there. Done that. First, know that you'll spend twice as much for a built in tank than you would for a floor standing model as you'll probably want a custom size tank, custom sized lighting and custom cabinetry. I built my 180g tank in what was a wetbar area. Looks awesome, but VERY expensive and harder to maintain than a stock system.

I have three small in-wall fans porting the heat from top cabinet ligh area into a side closet. Keeps the heat down fairly well. I open the door during daily feeding and maintenance which keeps the moisture level down.

I keep the chiller under the house so I have room for the refugium and skimmer in the lower cabinets. Figure your chiller will throw off some heat as well as need to be fed air.

Think hard about this if it's your first foray into saltwater. Get a few years under your belt and make sure you can handle the cost and maintenance before you start to tear into walls.

See my photos on this site. I'll try to post some of the before and during construction photos.

OldSchool

bennyj

Re: building a inwall reef tank

by bennyj

Thanks you very much, looking foward to some photos

We are building a house and we are building the tank in at the same time it makes the cost a bit cheaper. I had a look at your profile looks very nice. our tank size is 580 liters, I had lots for tanks before but not a salt water one. thanks for the info very bit helps

thanks again

Ben

3 posts