Found large worms in my tank

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I was feeding my corals this morning and found several large worms tan in color with little spines along both sides. Are they a problem in reef tanks?

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Bristle worms, despite what you read a lot of places......they are harmless. A lot of people think they eat corals.......I have them, and I just bought 3/4ths inch of a Garf Bonsai....at 90 bucks. Im not worried one bit about them. I have never seen them go after a coral.....ive been at this now for over two years. They eat deitritus too! :)

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Even though there harmless I hate IF I had a tanks that worms learking aroung my tank were there, good fish that eat them are 6 line wrasse, the dwarf goby, and thelong m word fish............. you know.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

I've got a few that are well over a foot long, LFS says they are harmless just don't accidently grab one! The barbs hurt, break off and stay in the skin. I learned the hard way when cleaning the filter, took me a couple hours of picking at the barb to get it out and it burned for hours.

fihsboy

by fihsboy

ohh yeah, they certainly hurt if you grab one. They are like cactus...literally. They itch and burn but eventually you can get it out.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

I was moving a couple rocks and it happen to be on the backside of one i grabbed and you said it, just like a cactus..

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Man i had one bout a half inch thick, and about 10 inches long. Mean looking fucker.
Glad i didnt grab him.

Gldntrmite8894

by Gldntrmite8894

before i started adding the fish i noticed them so i would actually feed them.. drop in a little bit of flake food and they would go nuts crawling all over looking for the food. like i said, had one i measured with a tape measure as he passed by the glass, well over a foot long... insane to think it was in one of the rocks i bought...

8 posts