Green Water?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

PalmettoCoast

Green Water?

by PalmettoCoast

Why is my water turning green? No direct sunlight, I have silk/plastic plants, some from fish store, some from dept store. I have a T5 HO full spectrum light on 30 gal tank for 8 hours per day. I started over completely 2 weeks ago, I had same problem. All the chemistry in the water checks out ok.

PalmettoCoast

by PalmettoCoast

Apparently I continue to get an algea bloom I guess. I have disconnected the air stone and will reduce my lighting to 5 hrs per day. Is there a recommended algea killer? phosphate killer? Should I get live plants?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Do you have a nitrate test? Not a nitrite, but a nitrAte test? Maybe the nitrates are too high.

Doing frequent 30% water changes will lower the nitrates, which is food for the algae.

PalmettoCoast

by PalmettoCoast

I tested all chemicals, they were good, within the appropriate range. I used Tetra Algea Control, perfectly clear water in 3 hours.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't usually like using chemials unless there's a serious problem, but I'm happy your water is clear.

I was thinking....did any sunlight get to the tank? anyway...

and .....of course you should buy real plants (LOL I just really enjoy growing plants) ....like....., I'd start with an easy low light plant like anubias.

Anubias has different varieties. The large leafed is the anubias bartari, small leafed is anubias nana. It's a tough plant that will grow with exposed roots on wood or in any substraight.

It requires very little light too, so no upgrading or algae issues associated with high light demanding plants unless your light is really dim.

Check out www.plantgeek.com for pics of plants.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Type in anubias under plants and you'll get a list of pics.

The first anubias bartari is the more common one in the USA, and the first anubias nana is the more common one here too.

Dishy

by Dishy

Hey,
When you said you 'started over' two weeks ago, do you mean an entire tank clean out, that kind of thing? How long had you had the tank running before that? What kind of fish are in there, how many and how large are they? And what's your normal routine for water changes?
Also, if you could post your current stats for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH, that would help. You could get hold of a phosphate test kit too, and see how that's doing.
Live plants would help absorb some of the nitrates and phosphates, and your light is powerful enough for them so it might be an idea. Plus, they look heaps better. ;-)

ITFishGuy

by ITFishGuy

If you started your tank over then that could be the main cause. We just moved and I packed up my water in pain buckets from home depot and put that water back in the tank. After the water warmed up again I transfered the fish out from the temp tank. That helped out a bunch. Be aware of the chemical makeup of the water, and frequent water changes will only feed the algae due to phosphates in the water. Good to hear chemicals worked for you, I don't usually use them unless it's dire. If you start with plants try a java fern. They are very easy to grow and if you can use the flourite gravel as it provides the stuff the plants need.
Within a month or so of having my java fern with the gravel I have 4 separate new plants to place around the tank.

Green Water?

8 posts