Canister Media

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Canister Media

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Ive only been schooled to shake detritus off synthetic bio media in the canisters with tank water. Is it a commercial ploy to tell consumers to change out a portion of the synthetic bio media every 3 months. Bio noodles are friggin expesive. Input appreciated, even though most in this forum with sumps have bio balls and not ceramic noodles and the like.......

snowboss

by snowboss

FR - -i use the "noodles" [Ehiem Mech] and I never replace them - -i'm running to HOT filters so each week when i do a water change I dump one of the filter into the bucket, swish the noodles around [not scrub them] and put them right back in, then the next week i do the other one, so im cleaning each filter every two weeks, it's fired ceramic - -what can go bad? screw the greedy LFS LOL- - -this maint cycle works for me in my 20 gallon tank - - good luck, snowboss

snowboss

by snowboss

I think, and I don't use a sump or have a reef, that the problem people are having with bioballs in sumps on reefs is that they never clean them and the bactieria starts producing nitrites and eventually the sump basically pumps nitrites right back into the tank - - -but like I said I don't use a sump as of yet so I'm just repeating information I've read

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

LFS'S take capitalism to the next level. I didnt even know there was another level, but who knew. Only they had the key to the next floor lol

snowboss

by snowboss

LOL amen brother

Canister Media

5 posts