osmo prep

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

breaknrun911

osmo prep

by breaknrun911

so i stopped buying water from my grocery store and now my lfs now sells r/o water. you can buy it either fresh or premixed with salt. .50 cents for fresh and $1.00 salt per gallon. since i dont like the salt they put in the premix i buy the fresh and add my salt. but they dont add the osmo-prep buffer into the fresh.

i asked my lfs and they say add it only when you do water changes.
i emailed kent marine and they said to add it when you do water changes and top off the water at any time and you could possibly overdose with the mix.
other ppl i ask say the same as kent marine but you cant overdose on it....ever.
can i get other opinions plz?

NIIIIIIIIIIK9381

by NIIIIIIIIIIK9381

its called the ocean

Barnsey9276

by Barnsey9276

Well im not sure what osmo prep buffer is but i will assume its to balance the ph etc of R/O water.
Ive never used any buffers personally in R/O water,you can achieve the same effect though by making sure you mix and aerate the water properly.
My salt mix will sit in its container for 48 hours before i use with a power head moving it around in the container.
This way you have no worries about overdosing anything,and get a relatively stable KH and PH

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

Can you get Natural sea water

blueshoes2208

by blueshoes2208

ok puff not all of us live on a freakin island okay! lol idk about any one else but i LOVE my red sea coral pro salt , jus my opinion

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i wouldnt use beach water on a bet ..........beaches are basically the worlds protein skimmers ..i wouldnt put that crap back in my tank, lol

if you go 20-30 miles off shore thats a different story, but by the time you get a boat that can go that far, buy the fuel, get the containers , haul em back to the house - - jeesh its cheaper to make it.................lol

i use oceanic, 60 bucks for a 200 gallon bucket, all trace elements, no phosphates, disolves very nicely almost a powder instead of crystals - -just good salt

and i mix with RO/DI water only

Boss

puffedupseagull

by puffedupseagull

But if you use beach or sea water u can unlimited water changes.
My water test PERFECT every time I collect. We collect it from the inlet near the headlands of swansea just south of Newcastle. CRYSTAL CLEAR. Skimmer stops skimming for a few days after a change.
I cant justify the price to mix up synthetic just to tip it down the drain.
Hey and boss, those fish that r in the tank come from that water LMOA and look at it this way the beach is a massive skimmer so the water should be perfect.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

aparently you've never been to a beach in the long island sound or new jersey bud..................HAHAHAAHA

fihsboy

by fihsboy

Puff.......you live in AUSTRALIA. home of one of the nicest coral reefs in the world. There is a lot of polution on the beaches here in the US. I know that we have a place called marineland that will pump you water for free from 3 miles out. In essence......its free water. BUT its still not up to par with water on reef tops. I use coralife salts........everyone around here is switcing because we got a few bad batches of reef crystals. I switched......and I have seen better growth with the coralife. and its cheaper. I paid $85 for 300 gallons. 98lbs worth.

gdeeber

by gdeeber

I used to live on Long Island. You couldn't pay me to go swimming in the sound let alone put that shit in my reef tank. If I did a PWC with water from the Long Island sound my skimmer would go crazy process all the crap that's in that water, not to mention my reef tank would have dirty diapers and crack pipes floating in it.

osmo prep

13 posts • Page 1 of 2